Advanced Search

Cobratec OTF

Recent Forums Main Forum Cobratec OTF

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    drdk
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

I just purchased a Cobratec FS-X small OTF.  Like the size and the dual action is smooth.  The blade is D2 and out of the box, it’s really dull.  I wrote Cobratec to ask what angle they sharpen the D2 blade at the factory.  They responded with 25degrees.  So I have two questions.

Have any of you had experience with this knife or other Cobratec?  Isn’t 25 degrees a bit much?  I’m not sure what edge D2 will hold.  I’ll mostly use this knife as an EDC, but want it to be wicked sharp!

For those of you with OTF knives, do you disassemble to sharpen?  I’m pretty sure I can mount it and access the full length of the bevel while assembled.

I appreciate any information/advice you can provide so I don’t screw up my new knife.

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

I just purchased a Cobratec FS-X small OTF. Like the size and the dual action is smooth. The blade is D2 and out of the box, it’s really dull. I wrote Cobratec to ask what angle they sharpen the D2 blade at the factory. They responded with 25degrees. So I have two questions. Have any of you had experience with this knife or other Cobratec? Isn’t 25 degrees a bit much? I’m not sure what edge D2 will hold. I’ll mostly use this knife as an EDC, but want it to be wicked sharp! For those of you with OTF knives, do you disassemble to sharpen? I’m pretty sure I can mount it and access the full length of the bevel while assembled. I appreciate any information/advice you can provide so I don’t screw up my new knife.

Hi drdk, I have no experience with Cobratec but I remember hearing that they are made in China and assembled in the USA, but I could be wrong. If they are made in China then the D2 may not really be D2. But it may still be decent steel. I would reprofile the blade to 20dps. You can use the sharpie and find out what the real edge bevels are – I’m assuming that you have a Wicked Edge sharpening system.

I disassemble my OTF for sharpening. It makes it easier on the vise and I can also clean everything good and oil it up easier when it’s disassembled. Plus, I just enjoy taking them apart. You can also measure the spring/springs and see what size wire you need to order so you can make a new spring in case the spring/springs break on you. My OTF is a Chinese made one that has one mainspring in it and it didn’t last long before it broke. I made some new springs with .020″ 304 stainless steel wire from McMaster-Carr. Good luck with your OTF. Let me know if I can help you further.

OTF-1a
    OTF-4a

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    drdk
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thanks for the thorough reply.  It’s interesting that the blade on your OTF looks similar (or identical) to the one in my CobraTec.  I’m going to take mine apart to learn it’s workings and better access blade for sharpening on my Wicked Edge.

one nice thing with CobraTec, they provide a lifetime warranty.  Hope I never have to find out if it’s any good🤞.

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

Thanks for the thorough reply. It’s interesting that the blade on your OTF looks similar (or identical) to the one in my CobraTec. I’m going to take mine apart to learn it’s workings and better access blade for sharpening on my Wicked Edge. one nice thing with CobraTec, they provide a lifetime warranty. Hope I never have to find out if it’s any good🤞.

You’re welcome. Yeah, they do look similar. You can use some thick clear plastic to put your OTF inside of when you take it apart to make sure a spring doesn’t fly into never, never land. I use some thick plastic bags that I bought to keep my old concert T-shirts in. They have saved me a lot of aggravation!

OTF-8

Attachments:
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.