Advanced Search

Clamping ZT, and Kershaw knives.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jared Hunter
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 9

I now have 6 ZT knives. I just got a 0200KW used for $75 today. The shape of the spine of the blades is cut out and it makes it very hard to clamp. I have sharpened the 0560, 0350, 0301. The 0301 was a pain in the but to clamp up right. It kept rocking from side to side. It took a lot of trail an error(though it takes that with any thing new.). I’m trying to clamp up the 0200 right now and it seems as if the shape is more extreme then the 0301. I have 3 strips of gaffer tape on the right side and 2 on the left.

Now with the tape it doesn’t move side to side. But flexes up and down with the tape.
    Most of the ken onion kershaw have this same spine shape to them as well.

Any advice on clamping theses big folders.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Have you tried foam tape? The white “puffy” tape that some use for posters.

What about sticking the tape to the vice? Would this keep the tape in place better?

Jared Hunter
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 9

Have you tried foam tape? The white “puffy” tape that some use for posters.

What about sticking the tape to the vice? Would this keep the tape in place better?

the double sided stuff.
    http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-10056/Double-Sided-Foam-Tape/3M-110-Double-Sided-Foam-Tape-1-2-x-75?pricode=WU351&gadtype=pla&id=34610388802&gclid=CKXNqKPMtbcCFQtgMgodu2IAsA

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I wonder if maybe the issue is the tape? I’ve had the best luck using a thin piece of leather I cut from a glove (others use a piece of chamois). Clay reported having good luck with Moleskin.

Or try just using one piece of tape… the goal being to provide a good “non-slip” grip, not necessarily to fill the void. Using multiple pieces may not be solid enough to hold.

Kent
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 26

The name change but im the OP.
    I have some used tig welding gloves. (I bring home all my old gloves) it is thin leather. I sould try that.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I’ve got the same 560 (I think) I see in the photo. Personally I use foam tape or chamois. Both work very well. But thin leather (as long as it has some give) might work, too. Just give it a try.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Kent
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 26

I’ve got the same 560 (I think) I see in the photo. Personally I use foam tape or chamois. Both work very well. But thin leather (as long as it has some give) might work, too. Just give it a try.

The pic is my 0200KW.

I only have double sided foam tape on hand, like in my link. It moved around to much. The gapher tape being a cloth like tape had play. I need to try some thinner stuff

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.