Advanced Search

Chips in the edge?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

What causes chips in the edge of the edge? I know I have read this somewhere but can’t figure it out? The last three knives I done, I have had a problem with chipping.

Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

I would say that it could be a couple of things that can cause chipping.
    One is that you sharpened the blade with coarse stone then never polished out the coarser scratches.
    Two is that you have made too fine of an edge and in doing so the wire edge broke off and caused some chipping.
    Three is you could have contaminated finer stones with grit from the coarser stones.
    Four is you are too rough when working the stones. When the stone contacts the blade the slapping sounds could be what I mean.
    Five is not having the stones flat on the blade when working them. Having the side edge of the stone contact blade first or when working the stones.
    That is about all I can think of off the top of my head
    Jed

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Often it’s using a coarse stone all the way to the edge, then not using the fine stones enough to smooth it out.

Sometimes it’s leaving a burr or wire edge that feels rough or chipped.

Occasionally, it can be the steel (but probably not 3 knives in a row).

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

One is that you sharpened the blade with coarse stone then never polished out the coarser scratches

Often it’s using a coarse stone all the way to the edge, then not using the fine stones enough to smooth it out.

Sometimes it’s leaving a burr or wire edge that feels rough or chipped.

Occasionally, it can be the steel (but probably not 3 knives in a row).

This has to be it! I was trying to see if I could practice for “20 knives a day” and was going at pretty fast pace!
    So much for flying along? :S :huh:

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

One is that you sharpened the blade with coarse stone then never polished out the coarser scratches.
    Two is that you have made too fine of an edge and in doing so the wire edge broke off and caused some chipping.
    Three is you could have contaminated finer stones with grit from the coarser stones.
    Four is you are too rough when working the stones. When the stone contacts the blade the slapping sounds could be what I mean.
    Five is not having the stones flat on the blade when working them. Having the side edge of the stone contact blade first or when working the stones.
    That is about all I can think of off the top of my head
    Jed

Better answer… didn’t see it… you must have posted while I was typing mine.

Glad we hit some of the same points. 🙂

Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

Yes I was typing it at the came time. I posted it and looked up to see who else was on this thread and there were 3 of us and you were one of them.
    Thanks for the compliment.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.