Advanced Search

Ceramic/Strop Progression?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bradley
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 6

I currently have the Pro-Pack 1 with the “Super Fine Ceramic Stones” and “Micro Fine Ceramic Stones”. My question is what would my progression be regarding the 5.0/3.5 micron strops?

100 Diamond
    200 Diamond

400 Diamond
    600 Diamond

800 Diamond
    1000 Diamond

1200 Ceramic
    1600 Ceramic

1.4 micron Ceramic
    0.6 micron Ceramic

5.0 micron leather strop
    3.5 micron leather strop

???

I know the micron levels are smaller with ceramic but looking at the grit comparisons the ceramic micron stones still have considerable amount of scratching whereas the leather strops are actually polishing…

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

You always want to finish with your leather strops. Because the 5/3.5 micron diamond paste is applied to a softer medium, leather, it will be a much more effective polisher than even your finest stones. Because it is softer you will want to make your angle more acute by 2 degrees when you switch to the leather. Doing so will help you avoid rolling the leather over your edge and dulling it. The leather will burnish you edge, meaning it will actually grab the molecules and smear them around and closer to each other. The leather is great for cleaning up your edge and removing scratches and micro teeth from your blade when used as your final step. The progression you posted is correct 🙂

-Clay

Ryan
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 21

Noob here. When you say make your strop angle more acute by two degrees you mean go from a 20 degree for example to an 18?

Bradley
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 6

Correct! Acute means “sharper” of an angle.

Ryan
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 21

Roger that. Thanks for the validation!

Anthony
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

Hi just wanted to chime in here. I have just got my 1200 and 1600 ceramic stones and I have to say using them is awesome, they helped reduce the scratch pattern from the 1000 and made stropping the knife must cleaner. Once you use them you’ll see what everyone is talking about.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.