Advanced Search

ceramic grit

Recent Forums Main Forum ceramic grit

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    matlocc
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 10

what grit are the fine and course ceramics in a gen 2 kit?  What stones do I need to go from the 1000 down to them in a reasonable step?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

The Micro-fine ceramic stones supplied with the Pro Pack II are rated in “apparent” micron particle size.  In this case, it’s 1.4 and 0.6 microns.  Since ceramic stones don’t really have grit particles, the rating is based on the apparent scratch patterns produced.  In other words, the 1.4 micron stones leave a scratch pattern equivalent to a 1.4 micron grit-based diamond, aluminum oxide or silicon oxide abrasive media.

The Super-fine ceramics are rated at 1200 and 1600 grit equivalent.

There are several different charts and methods comparing grit ratings to particle sizes and mesh ratings.  According to a chart listed on Advancedabrasives.com (the chart I prefer to use), the 1.4 and 0.6 micron particle sizes would be rated at about 14,000 and 35,000 mesh ratings respectively.  Another method is to rate according to how many particle diameters are counted per inch.  At 25,400 microns per inch, the 1.4/0.6 would be rated at 18,000/42,000 grit.   In practice, the actual particle sizes are approximations.  For instance, a batch of particles rated at 1.25 microns could actually include particles ranging from 0.5 to 2.0 microns.

Not knowing exactly how a manufacturer controls grit size, I’ll speculate that they use an attrition process, wherein they crush the media and continue the process until the average particle size (inspected by microscopy) meets the intended standard.  For large grit sizes, it might still be practical to to “sift” out the desired particles using mesh screens , but I doubt that’s possible for the small micron-sized particles.

In our application, the numbers only help us to have a general idea of relative scratch patterns.  Unless you are working toward an absolutely flawless finish, skipping two, three or more steps in the polishing progression is not unreasonable.  We commonly go directly from 1000-grit diamond stones to 5 and 3.5 micron paste on strops.

No doubt there will be others who will chime in with additional information.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    matlocc
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 10

so would it be worth it for me to purchase the super fine stones to use before the microfine?  Another question about stropping. I cut up my strops not realizing I was arcing downward.  Would the strops with the 1.5 and .5 microns be the same as the micro fine ceramics?

Frans
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 83

so would it be worth it for me to purchase the super fine stones to use before the microfine? Another question about stropping. I cut up my strops not realizing I was arcing downward. Would the strops with the 1.5 and .5 microns be the same as the micro fine ceramics?

Have a look at this thread: https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/strops-or-stones/

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.