Advanced Search

Ceramic Blades

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Just had a friend drop off a “NRA” ceramic blade. I have never sharpened one before? What do I need to know? Is there anything special about the process? Do I create a burr, refine and strop? :S
    TIA, Eamon

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I have sharpened several on my EP . Bear in mind it is really a piece of glass so they are delicate but very hard so only diamonds will be of any use so use the finest one you have.
    You will not get any burr it does not happen on ceramics the trick is to use a loupe so that you can see when you have reached the edge.
    I would probable try to keep the stones in contact with the blade as much as possible.Sharpen until all the microchips are out.
    I would not recommend any angle lower than 22/23Ëš check with a sharpie to reproduce the factory angle since if the angle is too low the edge will snap .
    I bought my own to learn on they feel very different to sharpen (I think I paid about 20€ for a pairing knife you can get cheaper ones) diamond stones are the only thing to use not much point using ceramics on a ceramic.

Here is an image of the edge of mine it is not perfect but I am getting better at them the loupe helps no end otherwise you are going in blind.

I refined the edge further with 3000 grit diamond tape on a glass backing.

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Eamon,

This subject has been dealt with in the past. I don’t have the time to look it up for you right now, but you can use the “Search” tab to try and find it yourself.

What I recall from it, you can use the diamond stones without any problem. The ceramic stones won’t work, since they are not hard enough. Instead you can diamond (PSA) tape or diamond spray/paste to further sharpen the ceramic blade.

I have no idea whether a ceramic blade produces a burr. My intuition says no, but you can always use a sharpie or (as Leo recommends) a loupe.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

This may also be interesting to you: http://jendeindustries.wordpress.com/2012/08/03/worlds-first-ceramic-knife-shave-video/

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Eamon,
    This subject has been dealt with in the past. I don’t have the time to look it up for you right now, but you can use the “Search” tab to try and find it yourself.

Mark,
    Before I asked I went on a search in WEPS for “ceramic blades or ceramic knife” and the system came back with zero. :unsure: I then tried using all the resources I could find on the WE web site. :S Still did not find anything? :side: Knowing that I have read sometime ago something about ceramic blades I decided to ask the forum? :ohmy:
    Thank you for your information. It is a lot more then I already had which was none. :woohoo:

Leo,
    Thank you very much! your personal experience I found very comforting. At least I was not going in blind?
    Eamon

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Go to the index, then under sharpening strategies , advanced.
    There is a topic something like
    Can the WEPS sharpen ceramic knives?

I tried to post a link, but keep getting a message that I have tried to send spam to the site and a moderator will be informed.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Go to the index, then under sharpening strategies , advanced.
    There is a topic something like

I tried to post a link, but keep getting a message that I have tried to send spam to the site and a moderator will be informed.

(Posting the link worked this time… but I got that same error a bit ago. I’ll let ’em know.)

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

I brought this up a while ago. From experience, be very careful, these chip if you look at them funny

And apparently some are better quality than others, all I know is the $10 beater I played with, I broke.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.