Advanced Search

CBN sprays on waterstones

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies CBN sprays on waterstones

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

What progression did you use to sharpen the REX 121 Clay. If those are carbides, something you used sure looks like it flattened and smoothed them out.

I can’t tell for sure, perhaps the depth of field, but it really looks like there are scratches in the background material that just do not continue onto the carbides, but resume on the opposite side…

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

What progression did you use to sharpen the REX 121 Clay. If those are carbides, something you used sure looks like it flattened and smoothed them out.

I can’t tell for sure, perhaps the depth of field, but it really looks like there are scratches in the background material that just do not continue onto the carbides, but resume on the opposite side…

I’ll have to double check but I’m pretty sure that it was standard diamond plates through 1000, then core leather strops to .5um and then kangaroo strops to .25um.

I’ll examine the original photo more closely in the morning to look for what you’re describing.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Phil,

Here’s a closer look at the photo. I sharpened the image and up the contrast a little as well:

Attachments:

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Phil,

Here’s a closer look at the photo. I sharpened the image and upped the contrast a little as well:

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Here’s another look with some image stacking to try and increase the depth of field:

Attachments:

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

For comparison’s sake, I took a series of photos of another blade I’ve sharpened, stacked them for greater depth of field, sharpened them and added some contrast. This blade is an unspecified “high carbon” utility blade that I took to .25um on kangaroo strops:

There aren’t any exposed/raised features in this blade…

I’ll need to do more work on the REX-121 blade to see what happens.

Attachments:

-Clay

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I took your photo of the REX 121 and marked it to show some for the features that I am looking at… have to post later .. at work.

I wonder…and will do some research on this… are there any carbides in standard “Carbon Steel”

I should have said…the kind of precipitated carbides that might show up optically..

The second photo with the stacking is much better BTW!!

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.