Advanced Search

Can not sharpen due to width and height?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Can not sharpen due to width and height?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    TJ
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 2

Hello,
    So I have been doing relatively well in my sharpening endeavors with my WE, but I have come across a snag, I recently purchased a CRKT Swindle and, being the sharp fanatic I am, wanted to get it sharper than it came. Here came the problem. I put it in the top position of the clamp, set it 20 degrees, but it seems due to the width of the knife and how far I had to let the clamp out to accommodate it, the stones will not reach the knife unless I go back several more degrees, which, if there is no other solution, I will have to do. In summary, due to the width and lack of height of the knife itself(because it is the highest position the sharpener allows), the stones will not reach at the current angle I have set, any and all feedback is appreciated, Thanks!

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

It looks since it is hollow ground that you need to put either some thick pieces of leather or card either side on the hollow grind then I imagine that you should be able to lower the position in the clamps so the stones reach . The knife looks like a class knife; Ken Onion designs some of the Shuns.

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

If you can’t set it up a bit higher in the clamp, there is an attachment available.

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=68&virtuemart_category_id=8&Itemid=98%5B/quote%5D

Anyone know if one does buy this adapter, if you also need longer rods due to the extra height involved ? :unsure:

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Hello,
    So I have been doing relatively well in my sharpening endeavors with my WE, but I have come across a snag, I recently purchased a CRKT Swindle and, being the sharp fanatic I am, wanted to get it sharper than it came. Here came the problem. I put it in the top position of the clamp, set it 20 degrees, but it seems due to the width of the knife and how far I had to let the clamp out to accommodate it, the stones will not reach the knife unless I go back several more degrees, which, if there is no other solution, I will have to do. In summary, due to the width and lack of height of the knife itself(because it is the highest position the sharpener allows), the stones will not reach at the current angle I have set, any and all feedback is appreciated, Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

Don’t have the knife, but seems similar in size to a Kershaw Chill maybe? I can clamp that in using the top holes and hit 17 deg. with no problem… so 20 deg. should be doable. Maybe I’m missing something… if you can, post a pic of it set up. Since the blade is fairly straight you should be able to clamp it near the handle. You also might consider wrapping some tape (or I use Saran Wrap) around the handle to keep any debris out of the pivot area.

Looks like a nice knife! :woohoo:

TJ
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 2

Here are some pics, it seems like the stones are meeting the blade, but there is a slight gap because the stone is touching the clamp much more noticeable when swinging the stones towards the tip of the knife.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Since the edge is straight and you don’t have to worry about angle change, I would reset the clamp (so it’s not so wide at the base), and clamp it on the flat part of the blade near the handle.

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Since the edge is straight and you don’t have to worry about angle change, I would reset the clamp (so it’s not so wide at the base), and clamp it on the flat part of the blade near the handle.

If that doesn’t get the clamp out of the way – two other potential solutions. One is to move the knife up higher in the clamp – looks like you have room for that. I’d try first just putting the grind line (where the parallel faces end and the hollow grind starts) even with the top of the vise since that is easy to record and repeat, you may have to move the handle closer to the clamp since to get a good hold but that shouldn’t create any issues since the cutting edge has almost no curvature. Another way to get the repeatability is to shim the knife up from the depth key on some match sticks so you can get it in the same spot.

Last choice is to grind a bit of the vise out of your way – done quite a bit of that myself :blush: rather than change angles on the knife (just be aware you can make the vise sharp too in this process! :silly: )

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.