Advanced Search

Can I sharpen my F-S Commando Dagger with the WEPS

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Can I sharpen my F-S Commando Dagger with the WEPS

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

I am not sure that my picture is going to appear here…I seem not to have the procedure down pat. Anyway, is it possible to mount the FS Dagger on the WEPS and if so, can it be sharpened with your rig Clay?

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Sorry Clay! I seem to have posted in the wrong section again. Slow to learn but I will get it eventually! Thanks for your patience. I keep waiting for a Mod to give me a correction!!

Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I am not sure that my picture is going to appear here…I seem not to have the procedure down pat. Anyway, is it possible to mount the FS Dagger on the WEPS and if so, can it be sharpened with your rig Clay?

Hey Leo,
    Nice looking dagger. I think it’s possible – it will be a little bit challenging but it looks like you can grab it right up against the hilt guard on the flat spaces there. Please let me know how that turns out.

-Clay

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

I will try grabbing it by the ricasso and see what happens. It is a really nice knife I had custom made by Peter Parkinson in New Zealand. It adheres to all the measurements of Colonel Fairbairn’s design but the material and the fit and finish are far superior to those made during WWII.
    Coincidentally,Fairbairn was the guy who invented/developed the very violent martial art Defendo which I practiced when I was 15 until I was 20. The ex-commando, who taught me, was taught by Fairbairn himself at the highly secret Camp X near Oshawa Ontario on the shore of Lake Ontario. It is from that time when I was a teen, that I developed my love for knives in general and that dagger in particular.
    I will get back to you regarding the sharpening of this wicked 7 inch blade.

Best regards
    Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I will try grabbing it by the ricasso and see what happens. It is a really nice knife I had custom made by Peter Parkinson in New Zealand. It adheres to all the measurements of Colonel Fairbairn’s design but the material and the fit and finish are far superior to those made during WWII.
    Coincidentally,Fairbairn was the guy who invented/developed the very violent martial art Defendo which I practiced when I was 15 until I was 20. The ex-commando, who taught me, was taught by Fairbairn himself at the highly secret Camp X near Oshawa Ontario on the shore of Lake Ontario. It is from that time when I was a teen, that I developed my love for knives in general and that dagger in particular.
    I will get back to you regarding the sharpening of this wicked 7 inch blade.

Best regards
    Leo

That’s a great story. Good luck with the knife – please let me know how it turns out.

-Clay

Bob Hardison
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

I recently sharpened a Randall Model 2 6″ Stiletto Fighting knife on the WE. Although not the knife you have, it presented a similar clamping problem. I used some 1/16″ electrical rubber tape on both sides with success in holding the knife in place. I did not want to clamp on the flat portion of the blade because it would been too far toward the hilt & therefore create an extreme shallow angle at the tip of the blade.

I have since left the rubber tape in place to prevent marring blades. Hope this is useful.

Bob Hardison

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.