Advanced Search

Busse HHFSH Beautified

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Busse HHFSH Beautified

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rob Abyane
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 10

Hello All,

I thought it was time to take two of my Busse Knife edges to the next level. The one I’m most proud of is my Busse HHFSH — easily one of the best fixed blade knives I’ve handled for a Jack of All Trades Knife. Check it out:

-Rob Abyane

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Wow, again someone who confines his Busse to printer paper 😛 .

Just kidding, very nice work!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Wow. Beautiful. Very nice!

Alan

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Very nice! Did you do any reprofiling at all? I just recently reprofiled a 7-8″ bladed Al Mar to 10 dps on the Wicked Edge and it was NO FUN lol, took a LONG time.

Rob Abyane
    Participant

Wow, again someone who confines his Busse to printer paper 😛 .

Just kidding, very nice work!

No restrictions at all — my Busse knives cut air, cut paper, cardboard, furniture, Christmas trees, wooden palettes, and a variety of different wood type trees. No discrimination around these parts

Rob Abyane
    Participant

Wow. Beautiful. Very nice!

Thanks!

Rob Abyane
    Participant

Hey Josh — I reprofiled the edge to 19 – 19.5 degrees. Some parts of the factory edge we’re close to 25+ degrees. It really did take long. I only have 100/200’s

Rob Abyane
    Participant

Very nice! Did you do any reprofiling at all? I just recently reprofiled a 7-8″ bladed Al Mar to 10 dps on the Wicked Edge and it was NO FUN lol, took a LONG time.

Oh wow — I’m not aware of the starting edge angle on the Al Mar nor the steel — but reprofiling down to 10 degrees sounds like A LOT of work. However, I’ve noticed that the edges I get with a belt grinder — even ones that use a stropping belt — they don’t come out as sharp. I mean — for me — the difference is very noticeable. Sure the blades can push cut paper after using a belt grinder — but they’re not as pretty and definitely not as precise. Just my 2 cents of course.

I will say though — that I still need to learn to effectively master recurves. I find that I keep missing small spots that require me to go back to correct.

-Rob Abyane

Attachments:
    Josh
    Participant

Yeah, it is ridiculous how much time it takes. I normally do the heavy reprofiling on my belt sander then come in and micro bevel on my wicked edge, but this customer wants it all done by hand. :ohmy: :dry: Right now I am working on a cold steel double edged dagger for him… So far it has taken me about 30 minutes to reprofile the front half of one side (i.e., 1/4 of what I need to sharpen) and has taken 1200 scrubbing passes per side with newly broken in stones… and I’m only going to 15 dps on this one :whistle:

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Josh:

What was the problem that drove you to use the Tormek adapter? FFG? Fear of damaging the blade?

I’ve never used the Tormek for anything larger than a Swiss Army knife. Is it that solid? Of course, it must be or you wouldn’t be using it. Wow. That’s really impressive.

Tom.

Josh
    Participant

Josh:

What was the problem that drove you to use the Tormek adapter? FFG? Fear of damaging the blade?

I’ve never used the Tormek for anything larger than a Swiss Army knife. Is it that solid? Of course, it must be or you wouldn’t be using it. Wow. That’s really impressive.

Tom.

Neither, hehe. I used it because I wanted low angles at 15 dps and the vise would get in the way if I clamped it to the middle grind line portion at the heel of the blade on the flat… this way there is no issue. I used the tormek jig also on the 7″ al mar I recently did, which got it to 10 dps no problem.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.