Advanced Search

Brand new user questions

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Brand new user questions

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Colin
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 12

On recommendations, I ordered the 800/1k, 1.2k/1.6k, and a set of 3.5/5 stropping paddles. I’ll stop by the hardware store Sunday and see what I can do about getting that vise setup going as well. Really excited!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I guess here (Europe) it’s similar. After a Swiss Army pocket knife the Buck Alfa hunter was my first knife. I think it’s (again after the Swiss army knives) the most popular folder. A great hunter, too, although unfortunately I get very little hunting to do.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

jumpstat
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 17

On recommendations, I ordered the 800/1k, 1.2k/1.6k, and a set of 3.5/5 stropping paddles. I’ll stop by the hardware store Sunday and see what I can do about getting that vise setup going as well. Really excited!

Hi there.

With reference to the wicked edge ‘Grit Comparison table’,  the 1200/1600 ceramics are equivalent to 5/2.85 Microns. Therefore would you be better of having the 1/0.5 leather strops or probably the SuperFine ceramics at 1.4/0.6 microns instead?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

My grit comparison chart (from AdvancedAbrasives.com) puts 1200 grit at a nominal of 15 microns.  1600 falls at 12 microns.  I did a comparison of 15 and 9 micron diamond film respectively to my 1200/1600 ceramic stones and the scratch patterns are pretty close.  Now, I’ve dropped the ceramics from my line-up and switch to diamond film after the 1000 grit diamond stones; I go 15, 9, 6, 3, 1.5, 1 0.5, 0.1.

I like the film because it doesn’t need breaking-in and anytime you doubt its performance, you can change to a new, pristine strip.

As I recall my Spyderco Sharpmaker, when I bought it about 30 or more years ago at the Wis state fair, the guy said the gray stones are about 600 grit, while the white stones were at 1200.  They now sell a super-fine stone (white) which is clearly much finer, but I don’t recall anybody saying what grit it might be comparable to.  My guess is that it’s the same as WE’s 0.6 micron superfine.  Advanced Abrasives would suggest that it’s equivalent to about 40,000 grit.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

I’ve bought extra leather and Balsa strops…I use Balsa for my 50,000 grit paste.  I buy  50,000 grit diamond paste, 14,000 grit paste, and 3,000 grit paste.  these are all tru grit diamond pastes.  Remember I don’t know what IM doing…IM just experimenting.. after a few weeks of ownership.

I like the idea of a lubricant as a suspension for the diamond dust.  That’s why I chose a suspension paste.  I’ve had a good amount of past experience with Automotive product research chemists, and their views on metal polishes and abrasives and suspensions…

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.