Advanced Search

Blade leans to the right

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Robert Gilvary
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 53

I don’t know how or why, but I clamped in an old style carbon steel knife in the WE today and started to profile the edge. I started on the right side and it went fairly quick, but in doing the left, I couldn’t get to the apex of the edge and form the burr on the right. Looking at it I saw a wider bevel than on the right. Checked it with the angle indicator and both side were at 20.50. Then I looked closely at the knife and it seemed to be leaning to the right. Checked the blade itself with the angle indicator, and sure enough it was leaning 1.55 to the right.

I just turned the blade to me and finished the edge up to 1000 grit. I guess I should’ve investigated further, but I had other knives to do. Just thought it odd that a knife blade would lean, clamped into the WE vise. No other knife I’ve done had the nerve to lean, once clamped in 😛

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hey Bob, is the knife full flat ground? If so, try a piece of chamois or foam tape to clamp the knife.

Or is it quite thick? The WEPS is calibrated for not too thick knives, that should explain it.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Robert Gilvary
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 53

Yes it was a full flat ground. Real old school slicing knife, wooden handle too. About the length of a boning knife.

It’s just one more thing to look for in this gig. I’ve got a piece of a soft leather glove I cut out of the cuff just for this situation. Never thought to use it though.

Thinking about what I did, I’m thinking I should’ve tried to get the blade straight instead of turning it around. Half fast (say it fast and you get the meaning) fixes usually never turn out well.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Bob, I have some thicker then chamois leather cut in a 1″ square and one 1″x 1/2″ and I have made it just SOP when mounting the blade now. It is learning the little quirks of the system and then you will never look back. A year ago no one ever talked about sharp knives with me? Just recently my boss said to me ” you have become legendary around here!”
    Every WE owner just needs a little time and practice and then we are all legendary!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.