Advanced Search

Black spots

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Black spots

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mikael Andersson
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 3

hey this is so that I started to sharpen knives but I have a test knife with many spots on that I can not have gone probably has got moisture or anything else because the spots are there, it’s a crappy knife from work that I brought home , someone has a tip on how to get gone numb spots?

// translated whit google

// Sorry about my spelling I’m dyslexic and so you know all translations is translate by Google translate so don’t complain about my English spelling \

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Looks like another Mora (in fact like my blue handled one) you could sand them off with sandpaper (wet & dry normally a black colour)start at 220 and work up as high as you can get at least to 2000 grit

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

ditto what Leo said.
    I use a belt sander on lots of imperfections and thinning.
    All grits available.
    Orbital sander works too, but you have to hunt down the right pads and watch the direction of the swirl … down and AWAY from the edge .. AWAY!
    Easy to forget 🙂

You can see the cleaver was pretty beat up, the top even was pounded and dis formed from a hammer:

Japanese carbon was completely rusted and black, came beck good.
    Think I went up to 3k or 6k pads.
    Some company out there I can’t remember.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Good job there – bet you had to clean off the Japanese carbon rapidly .
    Incidentally someone told me that leaving acidic deposits on knives such as from -onions – fruits -peppers- tomatoes will actually take some of the sharpness away – its sounds possible since even though the acids are weak they must have some effect upon a thin edge so rinse quickly .

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

You can also use a ball of aluminum foil and water as a scrub, it takes that off too. Just not as controlled as sandpaper or 3M pads.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I have a favorite hunting knife I made some years ago of D2, hardened to about RC 59-60. One year I sharpened it to what I considered my best effort with a Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker, but didn’t get to use it that year. The following year I proudly handed it to our guide to unzip my pronghorn. After a few seconds, he handed it back to me, saying it wouldn’t cut worth a ****. I was shocked (and embarrassed)and handed him my Buck 110, which had been recently sharpened.

Why did the D2 knife lose its edge?? The edge showed no wear, but it was clearly not sharp. It was kept in a soft leather sheath I’d made from a hide with a really rough inside. Was there maybe acid in the leather?

I once worked in a tannery and know that they use alkaline baths to dehair and deflesh the hides. Ammonia maybe, but no acids.

Mikael Andersson
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 3

one tip is when you do not use the knife for a long time before you put the knife away, take some alcohol on a cloth wash off the knife, then lubricate the blade with some type of fat I use resin ointment

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.