Advanced Search

Bet you’re not EDCing one of these….

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Bet you’re not EDCing one of these….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I actually sharpened it freehand a while back, but have been maintaing it with a 3m leather strop on the WE. It’s flat on the backside and 24 deg. on the front, (so 12 deg. per side = pretty sharp). :dry: Description says it’s White Steel at 64 HrC. I just use it for light duty tasks… (just something different to cut with). ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve seen it called a Kiridashi, but Google Translate just says that means “pointed knife”, so maybe that was just for the catalog, since an internet search finds a lot of different knife styles with that name.

Just thought some might find it interesting (or amusing!) ๐Ÿ˜›

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Indeed, interesting ๐Ÿ˜‰ . But to be honest, more than interesting. Great steel (particularly when sharpening – very nice feel) that also looks very nice.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

What a beauty it looks as if it is hollow ground on the back like a Yanagiba? I have a Higonokami from Best Made which is not bad it has a very sharp convex edge I put on by hand. If I were to buy another I would get it direct from Japan http://www.japaneseknifedirect.com they also have a site for chef’s knives http://japanesechefsknife.com they deliver quickly .

Attachments:
    cbwx34
    Participant

What a beauty it looks as if it is hollow ground on the back like a Yanagiba?

Thanks. Yes, it is hollow ground on the back.

I have a Higonokami from Best Made which is not bad it has a very sharp convex edge I put on by hand. If I were to buy another I would get it direct from Japan http://www.japaneseknifedirect.com they also have a site for chef’s knives http://japanesechefsknife.com they deliver quickly .

Cool. I have one also… another one I’ve maintained by stropping on the WE. I have a picture of it set up not too long after I got my WE (the WE looks so young… )

Wish you hadn’t reminded me of JKD… they have some really cool knives there I try and forget about. :dry: ๐Ÿ™‚ In fact, did you see their version of a Higonokami?

:woohoo:

Attachments:
    Leo Barr
    Participant

Yes simple stunning plus they also make kit versions of some of the more traditional basic types.
    I was particularly impressed when I ordered a Seki knife value around 120รขโ€šยฌ `I got the parcel in 6 days and they had put the value of the package down as 20$ so double whammy no tax to pay . The chef knife site has some wonderful damascus steel knives with copper or brass added which adds a rather interesting look and I guess makes the layers aid cutting since the harder steel would probable stand proud of the brass or copper making a toothy edge.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

That’s beautiful, Curtis. The kind of thing I know I’d never carry, but I can admire it.

Ken

Leo Barr
    Participant

Incidentally where did you get that fine knife I like the fact it is a mini Yanagiba in grind and that it is either Hitachi (i think blue or white steel ). My Higonokami sharpens so easily been carbon steel so I don’t mind what I use it for (excluding using the blade to scrape paint off or as a screw driver) its a real utility knife (it is the cheaper white steel).

Your knife is exceptional to me although is it possible a carpenters knife?

Mark76
    Participant

Leo an Curtis, I googled and Wikipediad Higonokami. I love the idea of a folding pocket knive in Hitachi carbon steel. What strikes me is that nearly all of these knives seem to have a long straight (or at least not very curved) bevel. That seems unpractical to me. What do you think?

Leo Barr
    Participant

We are back to bevels again still confused mine came with a V bevel (the cutting bevel) it been a shallower angle than the thinning bevel ~~I think mine is around 18ร‹ลก and the thinning bevel is probable around 5ร‹ลก.
    I decided to learn convex sharpening so I did the mouse pad starting at 600 grit working up to 3000 grit wet & dry paper then I have another mousepad with denim stretched over it with liquid metal polish built up until the weave of the denim is filled in and now I either strop it on that or a leather razor strop .
    So I have a convex edge with a peak of about 18ร‹ลก so the edge is quite resilient .

Please everyone I started a post on bevel terminology my aim is that we all agree on bevel terminology and this been a premier sharpening community I am hoping that Clay will eventually publish standard terminology for knife sharpeners enthusiasts & makers.

So please everyone have their say so perhaps this community can standardise bevel terminology.

Mark76
    Participant

Leo, this proves your point in the other topic :cheer: .

What I meant was that the bottom part of these knives seems to be straight (or not very curved). Like a ruler. Should I say a straight edge? Or something else?

My question is whether that isn’t impractical. Hope this makes more sense B) .

Leo Barr
    Participant

The profiles vary mine is quite curved. I imagine the straight ones are more adapt for push or draw cutting . In Japan these knives are used from children and upwards so they are designed to do most things from sharpening pencils ,opening parcels or cutting cords.They were what I would call an everyman knife cheaper relatively than a swiss army knife and easy to maintain no springs just a riveted slip joint simplicity in itself. I hope that helps you can probable get one direct from the website I put in an earlier post if you go for one with a plain brass handle and a normal carbon blade they are around 30$ I am sure you can probable get much cheaper ones in Japanese hardware stores if you can either find them online or know someone in Japan. I hope that helps you.

cbwx34
    Participant

Incidentally where did you get that fine knife I like the fact it is a mini Yanagiba in grind and that it is either Hitachi (i think blue or white steel ). My Higonokami sharpens so easily been carbon steel so I don’t mind what I use it for (excluding using the blade to scrape paint off or as a screw driver) its a real utility knife (it is the cheaper white steel).

Your knife is exceptional to me although is it possible a carpenters knife?

I got it from Japan Woodworker… available in right hand or left hand models. ๐Ÿ™‚

(The Higonokami’s are also listed there…. Higonokami knives … in a few different lengths.)

cbwx34
    Participant

Leo an Curtis, I googled and Wikipediad Higonokami. I love the idea of a folding pocket knive in Hitachi carbon steel. What strikes me is that nearly all of these knives seem to have a long straight (or at least not very curved) bevel. That seems unpractical to me. What do you think?

I think what’s probably more unpractical is not the blade, but the handle. It’s basically just a brass “cover” that’s not very strong… so it wouldn’t hold up to very hard cutting. I don’t think the blade shape is an issue.

I’ve often thought about putting the blade in a different handle, but never have gotten around to it.

Blade’s sorta similar to a Leek… :cheer:

๐Ÿ™‚

Leo Barr
    Participant

I found the Higonokami source a Japanese web site with all sorts of links to other knives as well – dangerous they do mail order & the site is easy to follow if you have google translate in your browser.
    I shall not be getting anything for a while but I would like to get a heavy Debe one day in the mean time I make do with this one.

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant

You’re right, Curtis. That Leek is extremely practical :cheer: .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.