Advanced Search

Best Tape?

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Best Tape?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kipperman
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hello all,

Brand new to this. Just dropped a bundle on a wicked edge pro. It was a lot of money for me. I also have dropped a bundle over the years on really nice kitchen knives for my wife which are still in excellent condition although very very dull. I see that , in general, people seem to be using $1.99 masking tape to protect the knives from scratching and ensuring that they do not slip out of the WEPS. I am not apposed to spending a bit more on better tape if there is such a need. Just looking for some advice from all the experienced people on this board as to what the best tape is to use. our knives will scratch even if you use the scrubby rough side of the sponge on them.

Thanks!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I use this:

You can easily remove it from your blade again and it doesn’t leave any residue. An additional advantage is that the tape is a bit rough, so your knife won’t move in the vise, even if you don’t tighten it strongly.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Mark:

I’ve never seen it over here.  There’s a lot of Hansaplast on Amazon, but none with that package.  <span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>Which would be the US equivalent of your example??  </span>

Mark76
    Participant

Tom, that’s a hard one, since I don’t live in the US. But it’s advertised here as a “breathing” tape and it feels a bit like paper (although it is much stronger than paper). It’s definitely not got the plastic feel that much band-aid has.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I think by Jove I’ve found it!  Here it’s called Hansaplast “sensitive” bandage tape.  One inch wide by 16 ft long, a bit pricey at $21.40 with shipping.  About $1.40 per foot.  Not covered by Amazon Prime.  Mark… Is it cheaper in Netherlands?

http://www.amazon.com/Hansaplast-Sensitive-Beiersdorf-AG-VSS/dp/B010WC6M3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450629276&sr=8-1&keywords=hansaplast+tape

Rick
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 54

I use Duck (duct tape) brand painters tape, clean release blue roll. So far it has worked pretty well for me. Though maybe not the best out there, it gets the job done.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I use blue painters tape.  It comes off with no residue.  I use on the blade to protect against scratches and also tape up the knife, protect thumbs studs, cover the opening on folders to keep dust out, and around pivot  to keep dust out.  I also use multiple layers on the blade if I need to move centering (i.e. shim it in the vice).

Also I have mole skin (think strip) on the vice jaws I just leave there.

Mark76
    Participant

I think by Jove I’ve found it! Here it’s called Hansaplast “sensitive” bandage tape. One inch wide by 16 ft long, a bit pricey at $21.40 with shipping. About $1.40 per foot. Not covered by Amazon Prime. Mark… Is it cheaper in Netherlands? http://www.amazon.com/Hansaplast-Sensitive-Beiersdorf-AG-VSS/dp/B010WC6M3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450629276&sr=8-1&keywords=hansaplast+tape

It indeed looks a lot like the tape I’m using. Not sure about the pricing, but $1.40 per foot seems reasonable. Here it costs about EUR 2 for a roll. I’m not sure how long it is, but I’ve used a single package for over a year. I don’t think import costs from Europe would make it cheaper for you.

Mark76
    Participant

I think by Jove I’ve found it! Here it’s called Hansaplast “sensitive” bandage tape. One inch wide by 16 ft long, a bit pricey at $21.40 with shipping. About $1.40 per foot. Not covered by Amazon Prime. Mark… Is it cheaper in Netherlands? http://www.amazon.com/Hansaplast-Sensitive-Beiersdorf-AG-VSS/dp/B010WC6M3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450629276&sr=8-1&keywords=hansaplast+tape

It indeed looks a lot like the tape I’m using. Not sure about the pricing, but $1.40 per foot seems reasonable. Here it costs about EUR 2 for a roll. I’m not sure how long it is, but I’ve used a single package for over a year. I don’t think import costs from Europe would make it cheaper for you.

Kipperman
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thank you all for the input.

It sounds like that Hansaplast tape is just what i was looking for. However, It won’t make it to the USA till February. I need to start sharpening sooner than that. Is there anyone with another suggestion.

@Geocyclist – I like the idea of moleskin on the vice. Is this needed in conjunction with the blue painters tape to ensure the vice doesn’t scratch the knife? Is this what most people put on their vice?

Thanks again everyone!

Geocyclist
    Participant

I tried both tape and mole skin at the same time and it was too slippery.  If I pushed much at all not he handle of the knife it would rotate in the vice.  With the mole skin you shouldn’t need anything else.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Geocyclist
    Participant

Well I take that back.  I looked in my knife database (spread sheet) today and saw notes on a Wusthof full flat ground kitchen knife.  I used 3x blue tape on the left with mole skin on both sides of vice.  The 3 pieces of tape was to shim the knife so the blade was centered in the vice.  This worked OK.

jumpstat
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 17

For me, masking tape of the normal kind is good to use. Yes, it does leave some residue after peeling it off, but usually I kinda like to really clean the knives I have sharpen using WD40 which gets the residue out without much effort. Another product which is also good would be zippo fluid.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.