Advanced Search

Bausch and lomb loupe plus cell phone camera = microscope?!?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Bausch and lomb loupe plus cell phone camera = microscope?!?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Martin
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

So I bought a multi power loupe for checking the edges and I was messing around and got this

This is the factory edge on my zt0561. It’s the sharpest knife I’ve ever had hands down. But the edge looks like a saw? It has elmax steel. Any thoughts on why it looks like that? It’s so sharp I don’t want to touch it I feel I could never do that, at least not for a while. Anyone have any experience with elmax?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Nice pictures. What you’re seeing are the grind marks, looks like, from what I can see on my laptop at 35,000 ft. to be created by a wheel based sharpener like the TruHone. It’s very toothy, therefore aggressive. How does it do with various cutting tasks like shaving, slice and push cutting copy paper, newsprint, tissue paper? Have you tried any hanging hair tests on it?

-Clay

Patrick Martin
    Participant

Nice pictures. What you’re seeing are the grind marks, looks like, from what I can see on my laptop at 35,000 ft. to be created by a wheel based sharpener like the TruHone. It’s very toothy, therefore aggressive. How does it do with various cutting tasks like shaving, slice and push cutting copy paper, newsprint, tissue paper? Have you tried any hanging hair tests on it?

if I run it through my leg hair it cuts it without really snagging it. I’m not even holding it on the skin either. I’ve never seen anything close to this sharp and it looks like it should be very dull right? could be way off though total newbie. I feel honored to be talking to you sir. your invention is amazing and I’m finally getting the hang of it and my stones breaking in. I think it’s awesome that you look at and interact on the forums. do you have any experience with elmax? what I’ve read is that it’s a “super steel” and half love it and half hate it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I have sharpened Elmax a few times… hasn’t performed much different from other steels. You should be able to get a “tree-topping” edge (cutting hairs off your leg above your skin) from the 1k diamond stock stone on the WEPS with no strops.

This may be helpful if you are wanting more information on elmax. Cliff Stamp is held in high regard by the more scientific knife community 😉

http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/forum/read.php?5,7070,8635

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I sometimes carry my ZT 0560 Elmax knife. It sharpens very easily and takes a nice edge. I don’t find that it holds that edge too well below about 18 degrees. What angle did you find the knife to be initially sharpened at?

-Clay

Patrick Martin
    Participant

I sometimes carry my ZT 0560 Elmax knife. It sharpens very easily and takes a nice edge. I don’t find that it holds that edge too well below about 18 degrees. What angle did you find the knife to be initially sharpened at?

I haven’t checked on the WE yet. I just received an 0566 20th elmax as well and it’s nice and sharp too.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

John Haley
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 32

Photo of my Hinderer’s S35VN edge using iPhone and BeIOMO Triplet 10x. The edge hasn’t been touched up recently and shows a bit of use… but not bad. This one was done near the factory angle at 22° with a very slight convex.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.