Advanced Search

Asymmetrical Angles – Plus or Minuses

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Wanted to play around with my campers, a Rat 4 and I think I did a RATK-II a while back (It’s in the truck).

A while ago heard the Jungless was Asymmetrical, with convex on one side and flat on the other so said what the hell.
    Got the Rat4 near the desk so will take a pic tomorrow.
    Anyway, if I remember right, went 20° flat on the right, 25° Convex on the left, handle pointing to chest.

My question is, does anyone think there is a benefit to Asymmetrical Angles on a camper, something that will be batoned?
    And, should the convex be on the left?
    I’m thinking being right handed, chopping, the convex will push better to the left.

Anyone know how Essee did theirs, which sides and angles.

Just playing around, may want to do some more if there is a real benefit to it.
    Looks cool 😉

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

The convex on the left will prevent the blade from tracking too deep the angles you indicate sound like it is about 55/45 % the asymmetric figures represent the proportions of the bevel width so the bevel would be about 55% on the right flat & 45% on the convex side .
    Sometimes if you look down the point to the handle the spine will be aligned slightly to the left so the apex of the asymmetric bevel is centred so it tracks straight when cutting.
    Virtuoviice on You Tube does asymmetric grinds on Bark River knives for feather sticks & butchering deer .

Ziggy
    Participant

The convex on the left will prevent the blade from tracking too deep the angles you indicate sound like it is about 55/45 % the asymmetric figures represent the proportions of the bevel width so the bevel would be about 55% on the right flat & 45% on the convex side .
    Sometimes if you look down the point to the handle the spine will be aligned slightly to the left so the apex of the asymmetric bevel is centred so it tracks straight when cutting.
    Virtuoviice on You Tube does asymmetric grinds on Bark River knives for feather sticks & butchering deer .

Thanks Leo,
    The Videos are informative.
    I’m a bit mixed.
    Are you saying convex right side of blade @ 45%, flat on left @ 55%, assuming handle is pointing towards chest?

Cause right now I got it opposite 🙂
    Left convex @ 55%, right flat @ 45%.

After looking at the videos, was impressed how tall the convex bevel was.
    Also, his feather work is drawing the knife towards him.

As I’m think with a camp knife to be batoning away from me, would it be more beneficial to have the convex on the left?

Still trying to figure out exactly what the benefits are.
    Got to see how the Jungless blades are done, assuming they are set for chopping.

Anyone have one?

Ziggy
    Participant

Mistake … I think its the large Busse knives as I’m searching
    Battle Mistress, Convex right very acute.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I would say that the left side for the convex if you are pushing away.
    If you have a junk knife it would be trying it out on first.
    The convex needs to be un the underside of the blade as used on the cut so it stops the blade from tracking in .

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I have the Junglas and I don’t remember any differences on either side… I lowered the edge bevel to 11 dps and then micro beveled (to where you can barely see the bevel) at 20 dps on the Wicked Edge… I chopped a bunch of wood, soft to hard on our last camping trip and it held up great… wish I could say the same about the Gerber parang I was comparing it to lol, that had a lot of edge deformation.

Ziggy
    Participant

I have the Junglas and I don’t remember any differences on either side… I lowered the edge bevel to 11 dps and then micro beveled (to where you can barely see the bevel) at 20 dps on the Wicked Edge… I chopped a bunch of wood, soft to hard on our last camping trip and it held up great… wish I could say the same about the Gerber parang I was comparing it to lol, that had a lot of edge deformation.

Made a error … Busse Battle Mistress

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Duuuude nice knife!

Ziggy
    Participant

Duuuude nice knife!

I know, on my wish list 🙂

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hahah! Really nice! I’ve got a Swamprat. Once, when I’m grown up… 😉

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Ziggy
    Participant

Needless to say, I didn’t get one for Christmas 😉
    Nice Edgework.

Battle Mistress[/url]

Found these pics of the left flat and the right convex Battle Mistress on google images, someone from BF, hope Mamun doesn’t mind.
    I did opposite, but have an extra Ratk-II I’ll go L-flat, R-convex.

For some reason this style intrigues me.

Ziggy
    Participant

Experiment, crappy pics but.
    Left side Convex.
    Right Flat.

I went in pretty acute on the convex, around 16°
    On the flat went wider, around 25°.

Leo, in the videos, seems he makes his convex extremely gradual, almost Scandi but convex.

Will see how this works

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.