Advanced Search

Anyone done mower blades?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

So Spring is here with it’s usual (huge) list of things to get done.

Today I changed the oil in the mower and put on a fresh blade. (it’s one of those Hondas with the dual blade system) Looking at the blade, I got to thinking… This looks like it would mount on the WEPS just fine.

Kinda like those fancy Japanese knives, it’s beveled on one side only, but it looks like I could hit that angle and just freehand the flat side to cut the burr.

It does have a strange curve as it comes to the middle. Don’t know how that’ll work out.

I’ll report back, but I’m optomistic.

Ken

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Replies: 342

Sharpening your lawnmower blades is actually helpful to the health of your lawn. 🙂

If you notice a dull blade will leave the grass more ripped at the top, and it will begin to yellow sooner than a blade of grass cut cleanly. (I used to mow a lot of lawns back in the day!)

Sharpness here doesn’t require 0.125 micron edges, since the blade will be subject to high rpm, but that doesn’t seem to stop people :whistle: I’d recommend using the WEPS diamonds up to 600 or 1K, and even that is pretty overkill seeing how your local shop will probably just use a bastard file or 36 grit and a leather wheel.

Be sure to get some pictures!

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Very true Tom. I used a reel mower for years for just that reason. The scissor cut action is much cleaner. Had to move back to gas a couple years ago. The reel was just taking too much out of me 😉 I do miss the peace and quiet of it though.

As you say, I’ve always used a file (with less than great results)

I was thinking 1000s 😉 Of course if I take it to 12,000 those grass blades will be pristinely smooth 😉 My yard may get mistaken for Augusta National. 😉

I will definitely get some shots.

Ken

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

So…. 3/4 done. I needed a break. This is taking a LONG time due to the size of the dings I’m removing and how rounded the edge is.

Not complicated but I put over 1000 strokes on the 50s !

Here is the upper blade mounted to do this first side.

I’d originally planned to do the back freehand just cutting the burr, but the width of the rounded apex “encouraged” me to slide the other arm all the way in and do it that way…

Between the two blades there are four cutting surfaces so…..

I really expected this was going to go faster. So far I have about 5 hours into it.

Ken

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Replies: 342

You should’ve worked out the chips with a grinder or a file first, then fixed everything up with the 50’s!

Don’t waste the WEPS diamonds if you don’t need to, IMO! :ohmy:

BTW – that’s a seriously psychedelic tablecloth, my friend! B)

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

You should’ve worked out the chips with a grinder or a file first, then fixed everything up with the 50’s!

Don’t waste the WEPS diamonds if you don’t need to, IMO! :ohmy:

Oh sure, Tom, now you suggest this? 😉

Well, I do have one more edge to work out.

(OTOH a mower blade is a great way to break in those 50/80s. I was trying to figure out where to do that)

BTW – that’s a seriously psychedelic tablecloth, my friend! B)

True enough. We keep it on that table for when the grandkids come over. AND it’s vinyl 😉 which has come in handy a few times.

Ken

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I really expected this was going to go faster. So far I have about 5 hours into it.

Ken

You get the “Tenacity Award of the Week“!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Tenacity Award of the Week[/b]“!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Tenacity = Stupidity? 😉

Ken

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Not at all… I think it’s a good learning experience…. if for no other reason, then to learn what not to do. 🙂

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Point taken.

At least I can take comfort in my award 😉

Ken

TrlSeeker
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 12

What does the finished product look like? You’ll have to let us know just how much of a difference it made to your lawn.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I will be interested in your results Ken.
    I know that we often do things, “just becasue we can”, But this seems like a pretty labor and time intensive way to get this particular task done. I use files. A coarse file to get chips out (if they are real bad, I hit them with the belt grinder using a 50 grit belt first) then finish with a fine file and use draw filing strokes. On the side away fro the bevel, I just draw file to remove the burr. The blade will slice cut paper… the grass seems happy, with nice clean cuts. Takes about 15 to 20 minutes. FIVE hours and counting GULP :ohmy:

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Thanks guys.

It’ll be a while before these get used. I threw on a new set while I worked on these.

So far they are coming out great. Still one edge to go. Probably finish them off in the next few weeks.

Ken

Johpe
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 71

Good info! I was thinking about doing the same, but after reading this I doubt I will have the patience to go through it (and I only have the 100 grit stones)…

But I’m still tempted to try it out, maybe finish the mower blades on the WE.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Yep, now that Tom pointed it out, it seems obvious 😉

Ken

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.