Advanced Search

Any experiences with the Atoma 1200’s?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Any experiences with the Atoma 1200’s?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Recently there was a discussion about Atoma plates for the WEPS. (http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=14&id=12530&limitstart=30&Itemid=271#14693)

People were quite enthusiastic about the Atoma 140’s, so I’m thinking of ordering them. And maybe the 400 and/or 600 as well.

Are there any people with experience with the Atoma 1200’s? I only read one comment, by Eamon, and he was not really satisfied, saying it seemed to work like a much coarser stone.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I have the Atoma range for an EP the 1200 is quite coarse compared to a stone 1200 so much so some time needs to be taken running the plate along the blade gently to remove the burr and it is necessary to strop after it is a great finishing grit for general kitchen knives where it is advantageous to have a slightly course edge say for slicing through soft tomatoes.
    If you can stretch to the set all the better!
    I also use a 140 Atoma bench stone for quick reprofiling blades even if I am going on to us the EP-soon to be the WE
    ( I have delayed my WE until the SWATs & DMTs for ceramic blades are ready.

It costs a fair amount for a set of Atomas through the range so I understand the quest for opinions if the expense is okay I do not think you will be disappointed .

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Just got the whole range (140, 400, 600, 1200) from Bob Nash yesterday.

Took them for a spin this morning on a couple of my regular kitchen knives.

These knives aren’t a huge challenge. Both are carbon. A Fosters Bros chef knife from the ’60s and an Opinel paring knife.

I tried to focus on keeping the pressure light, throughout the session. It’s very easy to find yourself “pushing” them too hard.

The 140s cut quickly as expected but left a very rough edge, easily seen through a loupe. I expect this will improve as they break in.

The 400 & 600 refined it nicely leaving a very sharp, coarse edge. The feedback on these two is outstanding. Similar in some ways to the feedback I get from some of my Naniwa stones,

The 1200 seems to be a bit of a reach from the 600. It took a lot of passes to remove the lines left by the 600s. I’m not sure this will improve as the 400s & 600s break in as the 1200s will be breaking in further as well, but we’ll see. I think the addition of an 800 step would actually save time overall.

Overall I’m very happy with these plates. They cut fast and an informal estimate is they probably reduced the time spent on the chef knife by 15-20 minutes, leaving a nice toothy edge. I could have refined it further with ceramics and Naniwas but wanted to get a feel for how the edge will perform like it is. That will determine whether I go those extra steps in the future.

Ken

Mark76
    Participant

They cut fast and an informal estimate is they probably reduced the time spent on the chef knife by 15-20 minutes, leaving a nice toothy edge.

Ken

Then how long do you normally spend on your chef knife, Ken?

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

They cut fast and an informal estimate is they probably reduced the time spent on the chef knife by 15-20 minutes, leaving a nice toothy edge.

Ken

Then how long do you normally spend on your chef knife, Ken?[/quote]

It depends what I’m doing. Just to touch up the edge 10 minutes. But to set a new bevel, maybe an hour?

I wouldn’t use the 140 or the 400 to touch up the edge though. Probably just the 1200.

Ken

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks, Ken.

What do you think of the 1200’s? Are they 1200 grit (i.e. just above the WE 1000 grits)? I ask since some people thought they were coarser (I think someone guessed 700-800 grit).

But if the jump from the 600 grit stones take so long, that is a strong indication they are finer.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Well, they are new so they will break in some but I wouldn’t rate them any finer than stock 1000s at this point. Maybe a touch more coarse?

They seem to cut differently. Deeper for each grade, if that makes sense? So each line/scratch might be 1200 but deeper than a corresponding 1000 scratch….

I’m sure that’s why they feel “fast”

At the end of the day, the scratch pattern is very uniform. I’m liking these plates a lot.

As to the jump from 600->1200, the 600s also cut deeper and those scratches took a bit to remove. That was my thinking why an 800 would be nice.

Ken

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.