Advanced Search

Angles Inconsistent Between Left & Right

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Angles Inconsistent Between Left & Right

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eating Pie
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 36

Hello… My first post, so if I sound like a newbie… well… 😀

Just received my Wicked Edge, and the angle settings do not match each other on both sides. Let’s say I set the rod collars to the 20 degree mark on both sides. I then measure the angles using a digital gauge. On the left, I get 21.1o, and on the right I get 21.7o. After a variety of angle changes, I am always off by about 0.6o.

I also notice that when I lock the rod collar in to a divot on the base rod, the inside edge of the collar on the left aligns perfectly with the 20 degree marker, but on the right, it covers the 20 degree marker slightly. I suspect this is the cause of the discrepancy I’m seeing from the gauge.

Okay, so here’s the big question: Does it matter? I mean, sure the WE is a lot about precision and I kinda do like the idea of the angles matching on both sides. B) But obviously there is some margin for error. And if you buy a knife from Benchmade, that margin is somewhere in the several degrees range!

The next question is Can I fix it?

Thanks.

-Pie

Johpe
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 71

Hi there

From reading different forum posts and looking at YouTube ‘how-to’ videos I actually think this is due to the thickness of the blade as well. One side of the clamp of the Wicked Edge is fixed and the other side is the one moving so if you have a knife with a reasonable thick blade the center of it will be a little bit offset.

BR,
    Johannes

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hey Pie,

Welcome to the forum! Your second question is quite a common one, so here’s a few links you might find useful:

And to answer your first question, does it matter? No, not a bit.

Success!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.