Advanced Search

Angle off by 3 degrees with upgrade set.

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Angle off by 3 degrees with upgrade set.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Frans
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 83

I just installed the Pro-Pack II Upgrade Kit and to my surprise the angle is off by 3 degrees as measured with my angle cube.
    In other words, have to set the arms at the 14 degrees mark in order to get a 17 degrees angle.

Am I doing something wrong or can this be a production error?

Frans

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I don’t have the upgraded arms, but I ground off the markings and only use my angle cube now. Those markings are only accurate of your edge is 5/8″ off of the top of the vise as that’s how it’s calibrated. So since your riser raises up the actual edge from where the old vise did, I would hazard a guess that that is the issue. It’s not a problem really, as long as you know it and know how to adjust 🙂

Frans
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. The edge of the knife is 1 cm or +/- 3/8″ of the top of the vise but that should only make a minor difference and not 3 degrees.

With the standard arms and this knife, the angle cube would show 17.4 degrees when set at the 17 degrees setting.

I would assume that the markings on the upgrade arms are calibrated for use with the riser block and with the same knife and the same 17 degrees setting, would give the same results.

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Try to re zero your cube

Frans
    Participant

Thanks for your reply but of course I calibrated the angle cube against the base 🙂

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Hey fvdk:

Where did you order from? You’re right the bottom black bracket (whatever it’s called) is incorrect. You need to contact WE and have them send you a correct one. In the meantime you can use the micro adjust to “calibrate” them correctly… just put a knife in that is 5/8″ above the clamp, and then set the angle. Or as stated above, just set the angle with the cube.

Frans
    Participant

Thanks, Curtis.

I will contact WE and ask for a replacement. I don’t know if the upgrade sets are supposed to come with a new longer support for long flexible knives as well. I did not receive one but the old one is useless now :S

Frans

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I think they have longer supports also.

Just to clarify my post, it’s the black portion of the 2 “ball joint assemblies” (I looked it up) 🙂 that you need.

Frans
    Participant

Thanks again. I think you are right and I used the online form to contact WE.

Gilles Quenneville
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Just make sure the fine tuning screws are at the same place.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

I have been using the WEPS so long that I only use the degree markings as approximations of the angle I want…my accuracy comes from using the angle cube, and now on the new arms, the fine adjustment screws. Couldn’t get much better than that.
    A sharpener that can give you split-hair accuracy would require an expensive micrometer on each side which would boost the sharpener’s cost prohibitively. An error of .5 degrees is of no consequence, but an error of 3 degrees tells me something is very wrong. Either user error or the fine adjustment screws are in different places. If the sharpener has been assembled properly and nothing has been bent or misaligned, then speak to Clay and he will help you out as he always does when there is any problem. No fear. 😉
    Leo

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Is it possible that this is the angle rod from the original WEPS and not the upgraded one that is supposed to come with the riser block?

Hey CQCQ! Welcome aboard. Is it QRK5 QSA5 ?? Or am I too old to remember back that far?

Frans
    Participant

There was indeed something wrong with the set in the picture. The problem was already reported (and solved) more than a year ago in this topic so apparently I received a set that missed the recall.

I am happy to report that I have been in contact with Kyle about this and he has been very helpful and has send a replacement. Thumbs up for Wicked Edge and Kyle for their excellent service.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.