Advanced Search

Advise on mounting

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    AK Jim
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 15

Recommendation on how to mount and sharpen this knife would be appreciated.

Attachments:
    Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Looks like a relatively uniform arc from tip to heel. I’d play around with imagining a straight line from point A to point B, then centering the jaws perpendicular to that imaginary line… But that’s just me.

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Other thing…the higher up its mounted the shallower the curve or if you prefer the larger the arc the rods will travel at same height….

Id center the blade directly over the vice and try to go as low as possible putting the knife down inside the vice jaws to make the arc smaller to better match the blade profile.

Regardless of those little differences it should take a really nice uniform bevel…good luck!

Montana Edge
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 62

That’s a clever ulu. I’m pretty sure you can disassemble that knife and get the blade free. If so, that’s the way to do this one… I see problems for you sharpening all the way to the end of the heel at the plunge line if you can’t get that blade freed up. If you can get the blade removed (be careful as it has some extra parts in there because of the two position sliding/locking blade setup) then you’re golden. Center it on the vice like Cliff is saying using a sharpie to match the secondary bevel and arc the best you can and go to town.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.