Advanced Search

Advice Needed for a Novice

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Advice Needed for a Novice

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ixstala
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

I’ve been using my wicked edge this week and having some good success. I purchased the 800/1000 as well as the 1200/1600 ceramics with my system. A couple of questions:

• My 1600 grit ceramic seems kind of rough, after using it my edge seems to get a bit duller, the edges are also fairly chipped. It feels rougher to the touch than the 1200 grit side. I rubbed the 1600 grit stones against each other a few (<10) times when I first got them. Hopefully, they are not wanged. Any advice?
    • Are small circular scrubbing motions with the paddles OK? I see people doing up and down scrubbing motions, but no circular motions. Circular motions seem  natural to me…
    • Should I always add a micro-bevel? What strategy should I use for a micro-bevel, i.e. how many strokes and what grit? When would I want a micro bevel?

Thanks!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

i think you may be headed in the right direction by rubbing the like-grit ceramic stones against each other, using light but firm pressure.  Don’t try that with your diamond stones.

Circular strokes are just fine, but don’t do it with soft media like strops.  You’ll slice them to bits.  Eventually you’ll settle in on a set of stroke patterns that work well for you, and each knife will need a particular strategy which might include a combination of strokes.

Usually, when you see others using scrubbing strokes, it’s to remove more material in a given area.  The amount of steel removed from any given point along an edge will be a function of grit, pressure and the length of stone passing that given point for each stroke.  If you are using long, diagonal strokes, the length of stone passing that point will be slightly more than 3/4″ inch.  A up-and-down scrub stroke concentrated at that same point would be closer to 6 inches, or four times as much.  Circular strokes do much the same, but cover a larger area.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.