Advanced Search

A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

New study, different steel. This is a knife that I had made from CPM-154, hardened to 69-70 RHC.

I started with a polished edge, then went back to the 1000 grit stones before progressing to the strops. Here is the edge after the 14µ strops:

510x – 14µ diamond and leather strops after 1000 grit diamond stones – 100 passes

510x – 10µ diamond and leather strops after 14µ diamond and leather strops – 100 passes

510x – 5µ diamond and leather strops after 10µ diamond and leather strops – 100 passes

510x – 3.5µ diamond and leather strops after 5µ diamond and leather strops – 100 passes

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Next I decided to throw in a little side experiment – I sprayed some Hand American, 1 micron diamond spray on my already pasted 1 micron strops – big difference here, though not totally surprising:

510x – 1µ diamond and leather strops after 3.5µ diamond and leather strops – 100 passes

There are clearly a LOT more diamonds than when I was using the strops with just the paste. Additionally, most of the ‘stiction’ was gone from the strops after spraying with the HA spray. I decided to do another 100 passes and started getting back to good ‘stiction’:

510x – 1µ diamond and leather strops after 3.5µ diamond and leather strops – 200 passes

For reference, here is a pic of the 1 micron pasted strops from a little earlier before adding the 1 micron spray:

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Man, that is really weird why the lapping films were so slow working and hardly did anything… I can’t believe it! My assumptions were totally opposite… lol, it seems as if the only way you can get a fast cutting consistant edge at sub micron levels is with the shaptons… I just don’t have a grand to drop on stones right now 🙁

* edit: keep the test coming Clay! lol, there’s gotta be another answer! I haven’t given up hope!

If you can hold out til mid-May, I might have just the thing for you!

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

So far, it seems like we’ve confirmed that the best stropping effects come from burnishing, which happens when there is adequate ‘stiction’.

+3.

However, this is the Wicked Edge pastes. Tonight I took photographs of the edge after stropping with Dovo paste. But it is 0:40 in the night here and somebody in the next room is saying I must come to bed. Up tomorrow :-).

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster

So far, it seems like we’ve confirmed that the best stropping effects come from burnishing, which happens when there is adequate ‘stiction’.

+3.

However, this is the Wicked Edge pastes. Tonight I took photographs of the edge after stropping with Dovo paste. But it is 0:40 in the night here and somebody in the next room is saying I must come to bed. Up tomorrow :-).[/quote]

Can’t wait to see your results!

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant

Interesting experiments again, Clay!

Slight tangent here – polishing tapes… I decided to retest the polishing tapes, starting from a polished bevel and counting strokes, so here goes, working backwards from 1 micron polish:

510x – 7000 grit polishing tapes after 1 micron polish – 100 passes

510x – 3000 grit polishing tapes after 7000 grit tapes – 100 passes

These look better than yesterday’s results but not overwhelming.

Why do you think they are not overwhelmingly better? I clearly see scratches now that (I hope) are from the polishing tapes. They are also quite evenly spaced, creating a nice pattern almost like what a stone would do.

By the way, with current knowledge (it changes per day 🙂 ) I think this it the way to test the very low micron size compounds/tapes/stones: first burnish the edge until it is very smooth (e.g. using the 1 micron paste, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the 14 micron paste worked as well 🙂 ) and then do strokes with the fine stuff.

Thanks so much for this Clay! It would, in fact, seem as if the 10>5>3.5 progression yields better results in the end… wasn’t so clear in the first one

I think we should be careful in drawing such conclusions too early. In one post Clay noted that the 1 micron compound had by far the most stiction. That would imply that 300 strokes with the 1 micron paste should produce more burnishing than 300 strokes (in total) with the 10-3.5-1 micron pastes. But in fact the surface of the edge after the latter progression looks smoother.

I had similar results: sometimes a particular compound seemed to cause more burnishing than another compound, whereas in different circumstances the results were exactly the opposite. I think this might very well be the result of the way in which the strops were seasoned (and the amount of paste applied).

New study, different steel. This is a knife that I had made from CPM-154, hardened to 69-70 RHC.

Are you sure that hardness isn’t a typo, Clay? But good to see the burnishing works just as good on harder steels!

Next I decided to throw in a little side experiment – I sprayed some Hand American, 1 micron diamond spray on my already pasted 1 micron strops – big difference here, though not totally surprising:

510x – 1µ diamond and leather strops after 3.5µ diamond and leather strops – 100 passes

There are clearly a LOT more diamonds than when I was using the strops with just the paste.

I am not quite sure what I see here. I I do see scratches, but not as many or as regular as those that would be caused by a 1 micron stone. Is that correct, Clay? If you’d increase the amount of spray applied, would the number of scratches increase and a more regular pattern appear?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Ooops, I did mean 59-60 RHC! 🙂 I’ll stitch the 1 micron paste image to the 1 micron paste + spray so we can compare them side by side.

-Clay

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Yeah Mark, you may be right… I guess I’m a little confused about which pictures were the right ones? These are the side-by-side comparisons that you posted Clay…

So, here are side by side the 1µ – 300 passes and the 10µ -100 passes> 3.5µ – 100 passes> 1µ – 100 passes:

510x – 1µ – 300 passes

510x – 10µ -100 passes> 3.5µ – 100 passes> 1µ – 100 passes

But then in the post above this one, you had another pic of a the same progression it seemed, ending with 100 passes on the 1m leather strops…

510 x – 1 micron diamond and leather strops after 3.5 micron diamond and leather strops – 100 passes

Unless I missing something, there is a noticeable difference in the first two pictures, but a HUGE difference in smoothness in the last one…

I am referencing post # 2463 & 2464.

wickededge
    Keymaster

In your post above, you’ve got images from two sets of tests, two on the AUS-8 knife and one on the CPM-154 blade.

Here are three from the CPM-154 knife:

3.5 Micron strops – 100 strokes:

The bevel is very smooth after the 3.5 strops.

1 Micron Strops – both paste and spray – 100 strokes:

There were many, more obvious scratches after adding the spray to the 1 micron strops. I had lost the ‘stiction’ here and seemed to be getting more abrasion and less burnishing.

1 Micron Strops – both paste and spary – 200 strokes:

I did another 100 strokes with the 1 micron strops after the spray had dried. The stiction returned and the surface smoothed out immediately. I believe that once the spray dried, burnishing resumed and abrasion was minimized.

-Clay

BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

When I first saw Tom’s microscope photographs of the edge of a knife after stropping with the 14 micron and 10 micron diamond pastes I was baffled…..

But in short I think the following is happening:

• Both the balsa and the leather strops are hardly abrasive by themselves. They do not cause much burnishing by themselves either.
    • The strops become effective when loaded with the diamond pastes.
    • The diamond pastes cause a lot of burnishing, but hardly any abrasion.

It is the pastes that do the work, not the strops. And these pastes are hardly abrasive, but have a strong burnishing power.

Well, the whole subject of sub-micron particle stropping has me baffled in more was than one.. I question if it is even possible. See the following chart for a reality check on what worlds of size we are talking about then ask yourself. “what exactly is it am doing or trying to accomplish by putting this size particle on a sample of cow hide and hand applying that to a knife edge”.., Hummmm.

Thanks to http://www.standridgegranite.com/calibration.htm#19 Standridge Granite company for the chart .. There are very few people in the world that know more about “flat” than these folks/. It would be interesting if we could get one of their engineer to participate on this thread !

BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

well that chart did not take here on the forum board software, so let me try it again as a JPG..

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster

well that chart did not take here on the forum board software, so let me try it again as a JPG..

Thanks for jumping in and for your feedback and healthy skepticism. I took a photo last night of the CPM-154 blade after polishing with the .5 micron strops with a hair from my nephew’s head for comparison:

You can just barely see the faint scratches on the surface and it seems possible to imagine fitting quite a lot of them into the width of that hair.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Added a couple more with measurements, these are all 500x magnification:

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant

Well, the whole subject of sub-micron particle stropping has me baffled in more was than one.. I question if it is even possible. See the following chart for a reality check on what worlds of size we are talking about then ask yourself. “what exactly is it am doing or trying to accomplish by putting this size particle on a sample of cow hide and hand applying that to a knife edge”.., Hummmm.

Thanks to http://www.standridgegranite.com/calibration.htm#19 Standridge Granite company for the chart .. There are very few people in the world that know more about “flat” than these folks/. It would be interesting if we could get one of their engineer to participate on this thread !

Hey Dan, thanks for the reality check! :cheer: Put our feet on firm ground again :). I’ll think of that hair when I am staring through the microscope at a 1 micron scratch… (Or better yet, make a photograph of the hair after it has passed the hanging hair test ;).)

wickededge
    Keymaster

Went back to the 1 micron shot with the most clearly defined scratches and added a .050mm scale. A micron is .001mm, so if we can fit 50 of those scratches into the space of that scale, we’re looking good:

Attachments:

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 163 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.