Advanced Search

6 kitchen and 2 pocket knives today – Whole Foods

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Advanced Techniques and Sharpening Strategies 6 kitchen and 2 pocket knives today – Whole Foods

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Today at Whole Foods was somewhat better. Ended up with 6 kitchen knives and 2 pockets.
    Many said they will see me next thur. I think with time Whole Foods will turn into a great spot, but only last thru September 26th.

As you will see if u watch the video, I had to bring out my back up 400/600 paddles today and I think next week I will order a new set of 100/200 and 800/1000’s. it is amazing just how coarse the new 400/600 paddles are when I started using them. I have been using the 200 paddles now for about 2 sessions now since they seem coarser than the 100’s.

One lady said she has a set of shun’s she will bring by next week and did a lady at east beach fare on sat. – wow…..a set – I like it… B)

Ok – good luck to everyone – see you sat.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Tuffy, your just a fun guy. I hope Saturday goes a lot better! I wish you good luck!
    Eamon

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Tuffy, are you getting any kind of feedback from your customers?

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Tuffy, so how long on average does it take you to sharpen a knife and what is your progression? Do you just try to match the angle, knock a quick edge on it, a few passes on a strop and call it a day? I can’t imageine it would be profitable unless you did this (for the great prices you are charging =) glad it’s working out for you!!

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I think that without either a bona fide shop where people just come because you are the knife sharpener it is very difficult to be totally commercial certainly if one has high volumes of work then it is sensible to increase prices to manage the amount of work.; but I think as a relatively small scale sharpener who is trying to build a name for quality without the full business model it is hard certainly in Spain I compete against old style sharpeners who get a lot of their work almost through charity and therefore it is part of the thing to try to out do what they produce but this ceases to be totally commercial perhaps it is down to marketing or more likely doing the right people. Many of these what I call knife blunteners use 120 grit grinding wheels driven off the back wheel of a moped yes it probable take then 4 minutes a knife but often the finish is a disaster and the temper of the blades are gone .
    Not been Spanish the locals like to give the work to their own .
    Many of these guys have no idea what they are doing here is a photo of some ~Globals that were so bad that where he had slipped up the blade it was so rough that you could almost cut yourself .
    So I and I am sure others are battling to prove that we can produce quality but these poor knife sharpeners are not that cheap and as said either get the work in a charitable manner or the public including restaurants really are unaware of quality .
    Sadly I suppose we should just use belt sanders to be profitable . I am pleased that I make a little income through delivering knives to a high standard . Spain is perhaps an odd country since because the average Spaniard has no idea of delivering quality know one pays realistically for the work of artisans and that includes doctors & dentists and I suspect that this is largely the problem elsewhere.
    England by comparison pays triple for dentistry compared with Spain .
    It is a very good business ethic that if you are lucky enough to get saturated with work that it is time to hike the prices but this is how for instance that celebrity hairdressers can charge 200 plus dollars a haircut the more they hike the price the less volume of work they have to do to earn more but unless you have great PR or are exceptionally good at networking it is not possible for most of us . So if we want to earn something then in purely commercial terms we run at a loss but it still brings in money where there would not be any .

Attachments:
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

It is a very good business ethic that if you are lucky enough to get saturated with work that it is time to hike the prices but this is how for instance that celebrity hairdressers can charge 200 plus dollars a haircut the more they hike the price the less volume of work they have to do to earn more but unless you have great PR or are exceptionally good at networking it is not possible for most of us . So if we want to earn something then in purely commercial terms we run at a loss but it still brings in money where there would not be any .

This should so be put in a “knife sharpening – good business practices” wiki. You make an exigent point my friend!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.