Advanced Search

3M 3000 Grit

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping 3M 3000 Grit

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Anyone ever used this strange abrasive with foam backing as a WEPS and/or freehand stropping medium?

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

jdavis on youtube did a review on this stuff so I tried it and failed badly, again when I was first starting out and trying everything I could.. As you can imagine if you dont use a wisper light hand, it will round over and blunt the apex like nobody’s business! Foamy is not your friend in this game I feel…

However the autobody supply shop is my favorite local secret spot to shop…they gots the good when it comes to high grit sandpapers. Highest Ive found is p3000 and that works great to transistion to strops or lapping films very very nicely! B)

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Ya as cliff said it’s foam, relatively soft about 1/8th thick. They now have it up to 5000. I won’t use it on an edge but have made sanding sticks with them

Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155

I forget the compay name, there is a place that makes cloth rolls of 2500-6000. I think I paid 90 for my 4k stuff. Can be used we or dry, water or oil. Good stuff for guns. I will look it up.

Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155
    Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Thanks for the feedback, gentleman.

And, yeah, I found Josh ‘s video! Awesome and informative as usual.

From what I gather, it’s almost as if even using just the weight of the knife might still be too much pressure?

The first thing that came to mind upon seeing and feeling this stuff for the first time was, “I bet a convexed edge would loooooove this stuff.”

I’d be interested to see someone put this stuff on the surface of a digital scale and take some pressure readings. Maybe even pictures of the edge at each reading also. That way we’d have some data regarding the 2 points Josh mentioned: 1) abrasive and 2) burnishing capabilities.

… Who’s up for it??!!

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

Not everyone likes it as much:

I don’t find the idea of a foam backing attractive. If Trizact abrasive is desired there are other, albeit harder to find, formulations without the explicit risk of rounding your edge.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.