Advanced Search

2 from Mongolia – 12 others – a record thurs.

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business 2 from Mongolia – 12 others – a record thurs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Boy oh boy the Thursday knife gig at the Virginia beach farmers market was finally somewhat busy today. Ended up with 14 knives – a record.
    2 were really kewl tickets to – hand made in Mongolia. Lady was over there in june.
    I was a good knife day today. See you on Friday for a spin weather permitting – really getting cold out as I type and wind has steady been increasing from the north with some light rain falling.
    Good luck to everyone
    Vid is: 3 Mins.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Hi Tuffy:

You seem to get a lot of filet knives, so maybe you have some comments to my little tale. This week I did a Rapala Filet knife for a friend. Actually it was in really good shape and had never been sharpened, as far as I could tell. This one had very wide 11.5 dps primary bevels and a very small microbevel which I couldn’t get an angle from. The bevels had been ground parallel to the axis of the knife.

I polished up the primary bevels, then put in a really small 1000-grit microbevel at 20 dps, I tried to duplicate the longitudinal grind pattern. Geez, this bugger was SHARP! Probably the sharpest knife I’d ever done – no doubt due to the very narrow shoulders of the microbevel and the polished primary bevel.

It also caused me to spring a couple of leaks. That really long. pointy tip seems to reach out and touch you without warning.

So I was wondering how you do filet knives. Do you use microbevels? What angles? Am I making these too sharp for the fileting operation?

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Hi Tuffy:

You seem to get a lot of filet knives, so maybe you have some comments to my little tale. This week I did a Rapala Filet knife for a friend. Actually it was in really good shape and had never been sharpened, as far as I could tell. This one had very wide 11.5 dps primary bevels and a very small microbevel which I couldn’t get an angle from. The bevels had been ground parallel to the axis of the knife.

I polished up the primary bevels, then put in a really small 1000-grit microbevel at 20 dps, I tried to duplicate the longitudinal grind pattern. Geez, this bugger was SHARP! Probably the sharpest knife I’d ever done – no doubt due to the very narrow shoulders of the microbevel and the polished primary bevel.

It also caused me to spring a couple of leaks. That really long. pointy tip seems to reach out and touch you without warning.

So I was wondering how you do filet knives. Do you use micro bevels? What angles? Am I making these too sharp for the fileting operation?

tc
    when i used the WE on fillet knives i did not do any micro bevels. i have done micro bevels on many large fish skinning knives for a big fish guru company in Savannah, ga., but that is all. a few just for the house here.

i normally just do them thru. 1000’s and course/fine ceramics. many are thin and flexible………….i usually hold my opposite finger on tip area to keep in place some.

since i have had power, i do on the Kalamazoo………..mostly on the platen itself or just above it to keep the flex out. i find for these type of blades it works better using the platen…..convex

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Nice run Tuffy,
    Yeah, this month has been a ride … everyone trying to get done by Turkey Day.
    Seen all types this months .. the good … the bad .. the ugly.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

got two swords on thur.

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

got two swords on thur.

I’m guessing really big Turkeys.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.