Advanced Search

Reply To: Struggling with getting sharp edges

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Struggling with getting sharp edges Reply To: Struggling with getting sharp edges

000Robert
Participant
  • Topics: 7
  • Replies: 406

Welcome to the forum, Todd.

I’ve not had any problems with my Wicked Edge sharpeners. I check for burrs on both sides after every grit. I use a piece of folded creased paper towel to feel for the burrs. I feel for the burrs with the creased part of the paper towel.
I also don’t use edge leading strokes except for the scrubbing strokes to reach burrs on each side and/or to remove the previous stone marks. After the scrubbing strokes, I only use edge-trailing alternate strokes.
The prevailing consensus is when you think you’ve done enough alternating strokes per side, do 20 more per side.
I also never try to remove the burr with the blade clamped on the sharpener itself. For a toothy working blade, I will make a few cuts in cardboard or my 2″ HD Poly or Nylon webbing straps. For a polished edge I freehand with a strop/diamond emulsion, gently.
That works great for me. Other people may have success sharpening a different way.