Advanced Search

Reply To: Antique pen/quill knife angles?

Marc H
  • Topics: 74
  • Replies: 2735

Edge leading strokes are done by bringing or pulling the stones down and onto, or down and against the knife edge.  (Apex down to bevel shoulder).

Edge trailing strokes are done by raising the stones up and then off the knife edge, or up and away.  (Bevel shoulder up to the apex then off the edge).

Both of these strokes, edge leading, and edge trailing strokes can be done either in a heel to tip direction or in a tip back to the heel direction.  That’s your preference.

I finish my sharpening routine for each and every grit stones I use with edge leading strokes, (down and onto the apex) done in an alternating side fashion, (left side, right side, left side, right side).  This stroke routine should remove any burr created and any burr remnants left on the apex from all earlier strokes done.  This should leave an exposed sharpened apex with no wire edge.  I generally work all strokes in strictly a heel to tip direction.

Stropping, done last, is always with an edge trailing stroke. I use an alternating side stroke.

This is my method.  It’s suggested that you find what you like to do for yourself, what you’re comfortable with and make it your own technique. Achieving consistent sharp results that you are pleased with is all that really matters.

Marc
(MarcH's Rack-Its)