Advanced Search

Wicked Edge custom rods/paddles

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS Wicked Edge custom rods/paddles

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Can’t wait to get this up and running!

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Wow, that’s impressive! And definitely heavy-duty. I also like your ideas for new paddles.

Hadn’t you made your own vise, too? By now then you’ve almost made your own WEPS 🙂 .

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Nice job!  Thanks for posting.

Alan

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Nice! If you go with a magnet you would be able swap out stones with just a few blanks.

Josh
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”></p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>Thanks guys! Any ideas on what material to use for the blocks? I think Tom and I were discussing ABS a while back…</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>

Wow, that’s impressive! And definitely heavy-duty. I also like your ideas for new paddles. Hadn’t you made your own vise, too? By now then you’ve almost made your own WEPS :) .

</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>Yeah ?ways tweaking for the next level of performance!</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>

Nice! If you go with a magnet you would be able swap out stones with just a few blanks.

</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>Yeah I’m thinking I will still just have paddles with the current design – 2 grits per paddle. But I go through stones about 2 times a year or so it would save time just to pop off the used stone and stick the new one on with no adhesive issues hehe.
    </p>

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Clay mentioned to me once that WE was considering a design with a single set of precision paddles with interchangeable stones.  Maybe they’ll come around to selling the platens separately.  That would surely reduce the cost of replacing stones.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Thanks Josh, great video.  For something like that a video is much better than just photos.

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks guys! Any ideas on what material to use for the blocks? I think Tom and I were discussing ABS a while back…

In that case you don’t want any ideas from me… I was thinking: plastic 🙂

Mark76
    Participant

How do you guys say “Thank you”? Do I miss something obvious or am I forbidden to say this?

Josh
    Participant

How do you guys say “Thank you”? Do I miss something obvious or am I forbidden to say this?

The mod should know this?! ;p jk. Next to the “quote” and “reply” buttons is a “thanks” button…see it?

Mark76
    Participant

Ah, it’s there! It’s just that in my case it is in between 8 other buttons. (Still easy to accidentally press “Trash”. But now there’s a safeguard: you have to press it twice.)

Josh
    Participant

By way of an update!

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

How stoked are you right about now?  Thanks for sharing the jig design.  That bore looked spot on when you showed the end view!

I had a local wood worker make me some blank paddles out of hard wood.  I gave him the dimensions and bore diameter and impressed on him how important having the hole centered was.  He gave me 4 sets of paddles that were unusable.  Looks like he tried to drill it free hand while holding in the other.  Booo

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

If money was not an object and had access to a machine shop, I would use Delrin… easily machined and you would not need to add additional machining for bushings.

Polyoxymethylene, also known as acetal, polyacetal and polyformaldehyde, is an engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts requiring high stiffness, low friction and excellent dimensional stability. As with many other synthetic polymers, it is produced by different chemical firms with slightly different formulas and sold variously by such names as Delrin, Celcon, Ramtal, Duracon, Kepital and Hostaform

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Hi Josh:  Lookin’ good!  Using shims to compensate for differences in block dimensions is what drove me to using the VSTA’s, but your setup is clearly better for finding true centers.  Maybe your buddy can come up with a jig to perfect the block dimensions too – then you wouldn’t have to change shims.

I think longer bushings would help to keep your bores more accurate – you can buy longer drill bits from McMaster so you wouldn’t have to drill from both ends.  Certainly, the 0.375 bit will drill truer than the 0.250, making that more practical.  I couldn’t get the 0.250″ to stay on true center for the full length.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.