Advanced Search

New WE owner – GEN 3 VISE PROBLEM

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started New WE owner – GEN 3 VISE PROBLEM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sebashf
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Hi, im Sebastian from Argentina,

I´ll been Reading this and other fórums for a long time.

I decided to get the WE Field and Sport PRO (Gen 3 Vise) from Oldawan (excellent service by the way), and i started using it a few days ago.

First of all, i would like to say that WE is an excelente system, i sharpened 3 knifes only and the learning curve is coming fast.

Said that, i would also like to say that the clamping system is not so good.

I think in a usd 600/700 system and i cant figure out how this cant hold a blade firmly.

The problem is basically the inside nubs on the inside of the vise and the thickness of the blade that may cause the issue.

I spent like 2 hours trying to find the best material for the blade not to slip.

First pictures could be nonsense but maybe someone was thinking about those materials, and thats why im posting them.

I bought last year some Dlastrong shogun series knives  (i NOW know they are pure marketing, but anyway are nice point to start sharpening).

1st attempt!  PIECE OF CLEANING GLOVES …… FAIL !

View post on imgur.com

2nd attempt! 3M TAPE ….. FAIL !

View post on imgur.com

3rd attemp! WIRE SHEATH ….. FAIL !

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

4th attemp! TRIMMED WEATHERSTRIP …… FAIL !

View post on imgur.com

AND NOW THE ONLY MATERIAL THAT WORKS FOR ME:

CHAMOIS (cushion, firm, and rough enough)

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Well this is my first post, but ill be posting my questions ,experiences, future thoughts and i really hope Clay and WE staff could solve this problem.

Ps. Sory for my poor english! Haha 

cmyhero
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 26

Thank you Sebastian I am having same problem but did not want to spend money for such a large piece of  chamois.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

For knife clamping with the Gen 3 clamp, I use a small rectangular patch of real leather chamois, exclusively. I use it dry, all by itself and get excellent tight clamping and rigid holding of my knives.  I sharpen only chef knives which can be large and long. Even when sharpening out to the tip where it would seem to have a lot of rotation or angular pressure due to the length, it still holds my knives rigid and very solidly and doesn’t allow any sliding, twisting or rotation inside the clamp. I purchased a chamois a couple of years ago and still have most of it left. Yes it was a little expensive compared to some other materials but it works better than anything else I tried. And I tried everything spoken about in the Sebastian’s post and lots of other materials.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum, Sebashf. I’m afraid I can only help you in a limited way with your problem, since I have a Gen 2. In a Gen 2 you don’t even need something for the blade not to slip. (Although I usually use painter’s tape to prevent scratches.)

Are you sure this doesn’t work too with most Gen 3 vises and that yours has a production fault? It really surprises me and it is the first time I have heard of it. Maybe you should give WE a call.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I have two Gen 3 vises and neither has a problem holding knives securely.  Neither needs any form of tape or chamois to fscilitate a solid mount.  Perhaps the spring on the cam is wrong or installed wrong.  How much force does it take to move the clamp lever into its locked position?  Mine takes quite a bit of force.

Exactly what’s happening?  Is the blade rocking axially?  Does it slip forward or back when you try to sharpen the blade?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I have two Gen 3 vises and neither has a problem holding knives securely. Neither needs any form of tape or chamois to fscilitate a solid mount.

I agree with TCMeyer. My two Gen 3 clamps both hold very securely with strong tight clamping force an they both requires a fair amount of lever force to lock the cams. I choose to use the natural chamois to pad and protect the knife from scratches caused through metal to metal contact between the metal clamp jaws and the smooth knife steel. The chamois is not required to allow the knife to clamp securely. I use it just because I want to.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I had one of those Dalstrong Shogun series Gyutos (which I believe to be the exact knife in your first photo) for a few days. I ultimately returned it because there were defects with the fit and finish on the handle and blade, but I also didn’t like the weight of the knife or the fact that it was rather a thick blade. I was looking for something lighter and more nimble. I did test clamping it in my Gen. 3 Pro and had no problem clamping the blade (protected by painter’s tape). I was able to lift the sharpener off the table by the knife handle and experienced no movement in the clamp. This does lend some credence to the notion that your camp might have an issue.

I have experienced other blades slipping in the Gen. 3 clamp. One was a Benchmade 530 spearpoint which has not flat portion. I was able to clamp it, but it did not take much force to cause it to start sliding upward in the clamp (thus moving the pinch point to the ever thinner edge of the spine). Another was a small Case & Sons slip joint folder. The blade was just too thin at the spine to get a good grip on the blade. I imagine that the small knife jaws would be able to accommodate that knife. I used the Tormek small knife adapter to camp these knifes by the handle and then I was able to sharpen them with no further issues.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.