Advanced Search

ZT 0560/0561

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark Massie
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

Hello Folks,

I am looking for some help on setting up the ZT 0560/61 in the Wicked Edge. I know some of you fine folks can really shorten the learning curve on this subject. If you all would be so kind, I would like to know some specifics on how you clamp the knife, whether you use the upper or lower holes, the alignment guide and angle setting that will best help maintain the factory bevel. The factory bevels are practically perfect and I would like to keep them that way. I have viewed and understand the method of finding the “sweet spot”, but am really have trouble getting the knife square in the clamp and have tried different depths and placements in the clamp using tape and moleskin but am still struggling. Any help or pictures would really be appreciated. Finally, I would like to echo what many have previously stated in that I have gained a wealth of knowledge on the WE from this forum and look forward to continue to learn from you fine folks.

Thanks,

Mark

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Hey Mark…

For future reference, there’s a Knife Database you can look through to see what others have done, but it does take a bit to get used to, so I’ll tell you what I found.

There’s a couple of entries on the 560, both use the bottom holes, set the ruler alignment at either B or B+1/4 (in other words, just past the B mark), and sharpened at either 19 or 20 deg. That should get you dialed in pretty close. I would clamp the knife so the straight part of the edge is parallel to the clamp (even if the spine rests on only one prong of the depth guide), others like it to rest on both prongs. Either way will work, as long as your consistent.

Just a note… while the bevels may look the same, most Kershaw/ZT knives are usually not exactly the same on both sides (I did a Kershaw today that looked equal, but one side was 15 deg. the other side 19 deg.), so be sure to use the Sharpie and/or raise a burr on both sides, and look occasionally to make sure you’re keeping both sides even.

Hope that helps!

Jamey Howard
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 63

YouTube user Xacto has a general “tips” video for the Wicked Edge but I think the knife he sharpens in this vid is one of the models you mention, take a look:

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Good find JameyHoward. Sometimes Xacto’s language can get a bit “colorful” (word of caution in case anyone’s offended)… but a good example of sharpening a 560! Few other tips/tricks in there as well.

Jamey Howard
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 63

Apologies, yes. I’m guessing most folks here are over 18 but nevertheless I should have put a warning that the video perhaps wasn’t suitable for all. Sorry.

Mark Massie
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.