Advanced Search

X-ACTO Paper Cutter

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic X-ACTO Paper Cutter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

i got one today at the fare near the end. guy wants the blade sharpened. i told him i would check and give him a call back.

appears to be flat ground blade like scissor blade.

looking advice and comments.

thanks

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Looks like the blade is easily removable. If its similar to a scissor (which it looks like it is) then I would sharpen it similarly. Work up to a burr on the cutting side at whatever is the highest polish you are going. Then you need to “straighten” the burr out once (with scissors I hold the blades apart while I am closing them, then I push them together and open them… this straightens the burr. I do this a few times to ensure it is bent away from the cutting edge). then take your highest grit you are using and hit it once more, thereby bending the burr back one last time in the direction of the cutting table. Then I would attach the blade to the cutting arm and shear the burr off (just like I do with scissors). It will ensure that they (the blade and the blade on the table) mesh together perfectly.

This is just how I would do it =) you are entitled to do as you see fit of course! :side:

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Probably can’t get a better answer than Josh’s…. I would add that, like scissors, don’t polish the blade out. Also make sure the part it mates to is “crisp” and free of any dings. I’ve only done one (my own)… on the part opposite the cutting edge I cleaned up with a very fine stone…. (a fine Spyderco stone, so similar to the MicroFine-Fine if you have either one.) Not sure if it’s correct, but figured probably not good to take much off of that side, and it came out cutting well.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

after sharpening the little buck knife, i clamped the x-acto into the WE—-

using 80 paddle i went to town on it with hight powered peepers…….

i made one mistake and that was not testing it before sharpening, but god it is sharp now and it will cut 1 to 20 pieces of newpaper with ease and no catching.

got a good burr – used 1000 removed. – hope to deleiver today and then get comments back from the fellow.

stand by for details

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I did one of those in situ with a Spyderco triangular ceramic rod in fact this particular blade had never had a descent edge on it I think they overlooked sharpening it since the blade was all black ; after it was a gleaming steel colour.. It was a German design but made in China . The blade was carbon steel and was easy enough to sharpen it took no longer than a normal knife to do and it was a single bevel chisel edge if I remember correctly.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.