Advanced Search

Why is my knife slicing up my strop?

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Why is my knife slicing up my strop?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Kyle
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 18

Im new to the wicked edge, just got it a few days ago. Did my first knife and it came out decent, but when i moved onto the strops i had a problem. The strop on the leftside keeps getting sliced up pretty bad by my knife everytime i make a stroke, the only time it wont slice it up is if i put it on 15 degrees. The right side doesnt do this though. Now one of my new strops is already sliced up because of this. Anyone know why this might be happening? Thanks for any help.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570
    Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

If I understand correctly, 99% of the time there’s really only one cause to this problem – Coming back down directly onto the edge.

I’ve never had this be the cause, or know anyone who has, but maybe you left a substantial burr on the side that’s cutting into the strop as you trail along the edge.

Kyle
    Participant

This thread may help

https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forum/5-stropping/8244-how-to-use-strops-i-keeps-slicing-them%5B/quote%5D

Thank you, sounds like i just need to work on my technique. Sounds like i need to do more of an upward stroke.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

ALL OF YOUR STROKES need to trail the edge – Up and away.

Strops are meant to polish the edge with the diamond compound working as an abrasive on a micron(s) scale.

I recommend starting at the heel and finishing at the tip until you get comfortable with the concept.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Be careful at the tip area of the knife. Easy to slice the strops there.

And as Knifeknerd stated, all strokes must be upward away from the edge, i.e. Edge trailing.

JS
    Participant
    • Replies: 109

If I have a slice, it comes from the tip of the knife so be cautious as stated above.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

If I have a slice, it comes from the tip of the knife so be cautious as stated above.

Yeah, if it’s happening at the tip I’d say slow down and concentrate on technique. Why? Chances are you’re not coming off the tip with the handles parallel to the edge. This will also cause you to round the tip with the diamonds if you’re not too careful.

As you approach the tip, apply a little more pressure on your thumbs.

Alfredo
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Also if you lower the angle one or two degrees when stroping it will be less likely to damage the strops or to round off the edge.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

Also if you lower the angle one or two degrees when stroping it will be less likely to damage the strops or to round off the edge.

Agreed. Many of us see better results by dropping down 2 dps since the leather conforms to the edge. Remember to use super light pressure (like a whisper) so you don’t cause the strops to conform to much to the point where they roll the edge…

Some people might argue on behalf of heavy pressure. The majority of us here disagree since strops are meant to polish as the diamond compound/abrasive works out the scratches.

Kyle
    Participant

I did another knife and dropped it from 20 degrees to 18 degrees and i stropped with more of a upward motion and its not slicing my strop up, so problem solved thanks guys.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

I did another knife and dropped it from 20 degrees to 18 degrees and i stropped with more of a upward motion and its not slicing my strop up, so problem solved thanks guys.

Awesome! Thanks for posting and please keep us in the loupe… Yeah, that was a pun B)

Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155

I read this thread right before i stropped one of my knives. never having this issue before i did not think much of it. I chewed the bajeeebus out of my left strop. I did more of a slide than push up. grrrr

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

dropping 2 deg is for cow. Not sure if it is the same for kangaroo. Balsa you seem to only need to step down .5 or 1.

Stepping down in angle will not prevent cutting any at all. It just keeps from making the apex a lower angle because of the rounding that occurs due to the soft material curling over the apex.

Cutting the strops is all technique. So I am betting the folks that are chewing up the left strops are *cough* right handed perhaps?

Practice makes perfect!! After you get the mechanics of the stroke proper on both hands…start checking yourself on the difference in pressure you are using between the 2…next level stuff my friends. Keep sharpening!! LOTS!

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Ohhhh…and if you are catching and cutting your strops on the tips..happens to me all the time..just imagine what would be happening if you had the diamond paddles in your hands…anyone find themselves rounding a tip once in a while? I sure do. 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.