Advanced Search

Whole Foods Fare today – 11 knife day

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business Whole Foods Fare today – 11 knife day

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Thursday was a pretty good day at the Whole Foods Fare.

10 Kitchen Knives and 1 BenchMade pocket…….551.

1 old saw blade knife by K-bar. All in all a pretty good day at the fare.
    Gloves worked out pretty nice – nipped off the ends somewhat and the “Jed Setup” worked great. Used one box today and 2 this morning for big old restaurant knives. – see pic

Thanks for the tip.

See you sat. – good luck to everyone – video is short today, I left the damn remote switch for camera sitting on my desk.—-vid is like 4.5 mins.

Attachments:
    Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Interested to hear how you handled the K Bar with the mini serations, and how it turned out.

Thanks for the show, Tuffy

Mike

PS what do you like about goat soap?

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Interested to hear how you handled the K Bar with the mini serations, and how it turned out.

Mike

+1

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Interested to hear how you handled the K Bar with the mini serations, and how it turned out

That K Sabatiere is one of the best of the brand I have to vintage Carbon steel K Sabatiers made in the late 50s/early 60s they still have them for sale .
    The Sabatier name was not patented so the style is copied globally so the quality varies a lot .
    K Sabatier are made in Thiers France which is one of their older knife regions .

Attachments:
    Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

Max I am glad to hear that my setup worked well for you and that the gloves are good too. They are not too thick and honestly after a day or 2 of sharpening with them you will be used to them and you will not even know they are there. I feel kinda funny now sharpening without them. But I guess it is a comfort and safety thing with me as I will not be able to perform my job well with stitches in my hands or nerve damage or anything else like that. Let alone not being able to sharpen on the weekends if I got hurt.

Did you shave any time off of each knife with it or was it set up like that or was it about the same as your setup with the 22° as you had tried before?

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Mike

....soft and nice smelling – i shave with it in shower…nice
    i just sharpened the tips – not serrated, saw blade…..sharpened the tips like standard knife – SHARP – my 3rd saw blade knife at this fare…..both sides the same.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

i noticed thur. and last sunday after sharpeing alot of knives, i get trigger finger on my right index finger.

happened last week when i had to sharpen all those knives for 1 lady——gave it no thought then, but yesterday, i did like 9 restaurant knives – 3 home knives and the whole foods fare and 11 knives – about 1 hr. later, i am cutting salad and same deal————–pain in right arm between elboe and wrist and right index locks up like trigger————-i just push it back to straight on table and after 2nd time, it is ok————never to be heard from since.
    happen to anyone else???

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Max I am glad to hear that my setup worked well for you and that the gloves are good too. They are not too thick and honestly after a day or 2 of sharpening with them you will be used to them and you will not even know they are there. I feel kinda funny now sharpening without them. But I guess it is a comfort and safety thing with me as I will not be able to perform my job well with stitches in my hands or nerve damage or anything else like that. Let alone not being able to sharpen on the weekends if I got hurt.

Did you shave any time off of each knife with it or was it set up like that or was it about the same as your setup with the 22° as you had tried before?

………..jed
    i would say about the same – today i did all those small henckels i got from thrift store and 3 others, still at 24* – still fine set up – and i would say………..22* to 24* – all the same

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Sounds like repetitive stress injury. Same idea as tennis elbow. Maybe seek out a physical therapist for “exercises” to reduce problem. This could turn into very chronic condition, is my guess. Don’t play tennis, but had tennis elbow pain/ flair ups / etc for ten years or more. Can still aggravate it. Picking up and drinking a cup of coffee/ soda / whatever was painful. I ignored symptoms for a long time thinking it was normal muscle soreness.

Exercises are mindnumbingly easy. Have to be diligent about doing them . Very boring.

Hope that helps

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.