Advanced Search

What to add?

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat What to add?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Wesley
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 18

I’m not sure what to add to my WEPS. I have the PP1 with upgraded arms, should I add the ceramic paddles or the low angle adapter? What would you all do?

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

If it were my choice…Ceramics for me. The low angle adapter will only be useful for certain situations, while the ceramics will be useful every time you sharpen. Give you nice mirror finish too. If there is no problem with the piggy bank, get both! :silly:

Leo

Wesley
    Participant

My wife has me on a limit for my hobbies :S. So I can do only one a month depending on the amount. She says once we buy the house we want I can send more, but I understand why she wants a house. I am thinking the ceramics is the way to go right now.

Does it make that much difference in how sharp you get the knife? I still can’t get the hair splitting sharp, but I can get them sharp enough to cut you and you not know until you see blood dripping.

Wesley
    Participant

Also thanks for the help. You all are super on here.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

My wife has me on a limit for my hobbies :S. So I can do only one a month depending on the amount. She says once we buy the house we want I can send more, but I understand why she wants a house. I am thinking the ceramics is the way to go right
    Does it make that much difference in how sharp you get the knife? I still can’t get the hair splitting sharp, but I can get them sharp enough to cut you and you not know until you see blood dripping.

Your wife is right to want a nice house and so carefully choosing for awhile is a good way to go.I agree that the ceramics should probably be next. They certainly polish the edge and in my opinion at least, there is that little extra keenness added that makes the edge dangerous to even look at. 😉
    Good to see you on the forum with wise questions. Good luck to you and your wife in saving and buying a home….where you can, set up a work-shop and load it with all the WEPS do-dads you want….diamond pastes,boron… low-angle clamp, choseras, kangaroo…, balsa,leather…!!! :woohoo: :side:
    Silly Leo

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I agree with the ceramics. You won’t use the LAA much. That being said you should be able to get tree topping sharp off of the 1k stones.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Also thanks for the help. You all are super on here.

Thank you! We try.
    If you are not getting the edges you want, check out two things: are you sure you have raised a burr on each side and that they run the full length of the blade; remember that the only time you use any pressure at all is when you are raising the burr, so be sure you are using little to no pressure for the other steps…caress the edge rather than trying to wear it down.
    Also remember your stones need to be broken in…the more you use them, the better work they will do
    Leo

Wesley
    Participant

Thanks, I think the problem is I am putting a little pressure with all of the steps. I raise a burr on each side with the 100 or 200 only. All of that aside I couldn’t be more pleased with the system. I am just seeing how far I can push the sharpness threshold.

I have been getting everything super sharp and I am very happy with the results. I have cut myself so bad and didn’t even know until I saw the blood. LOL.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Here is anther vote for ceramics. The LAA is for down the road. I would also think hard about a kanagroo strop. You would not believe what a difference there is with the roo! A roo strop is about 1/2 the price of the macro ceramic. I have them in 5/3.5 and 1/.25 and those that I have sharpened for with them find them amazing!

Wesley
    Participant

Here is anther vote for ceramics. The LAA is for down the road. I would also think hard about a kanagroo strop. You would not believe what a difference there is with the roo! A roo strop is about 1/2 the price of the macro ceramic. I have them in 5/3.5 and 1/.25 and those that I have sharpened for with them find them amazing!

I will have to consider those. If I go with the ceramics which ones would you start with, also with the balsa and roo strops?

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I will have to consider those. If I go with the ceramics which ones would you start with, also with the balsa and roo strops?[/quote]

I started with the 1200/1600 and I think most would tell you to do the same? I have both balsa and roo and I would go for the roo if I was looking to sharpen and balsa for shine. Others may have a different take, but that is my opinion. Of coarse remember we are splitting hairs here! The old adage around here is “it depends” on what your final goal is? YMMV?

Wesley
    Participant

Thank you all for the help. I am going to go with the 1200/1600 then move on from there.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.