Advanced Search

Well it’s Finally Here

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Well it’s Finally Here

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jack Montrose
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 67

B) Just received my Pro-Pack II yesterday so, here are my first impressions. I immediately grabbed an old kitchen knife and rushed right into it (been watching videos for the past two months). I progressed through the diamond stones 100 – 1000 then put the ceramics on but had a minor problem (had to force one on the shaft – it was bound so tight I couldn’t use it). After finishing with one stone changing sides as I went, I was pretty happy with how sharp this old dime store knife got. This morning I decided to ream out the hole in the ceramic stone handle, and now it is perfect (note: no more slop than the other stones). I then decided to check the angle with the angle cube, Wow, the numbers on the unit are more than two degrees off. So I adjusted to 16 degrees (I know should be about 20 deg. for a kitchen knife) and away I went through all the stones 100 – 1000 then ceramics. Wow again, this time the knife came out even sharper (I’ll move on to the strops at a later time). I am in love with this thing, it took a while to get it but no regrets and probably a good thing since it gave me time to review the process then review again and again (TGF Youtube). I am going to sharpen a few more old kitchen knives today at 20 deg. to refine my technique before going to our Shun, Kershaw, Henkel and Wusthof knives. Then I’ll tackle my good EDC’s (Emerson’s and SOG). Clay, this thing is the bomb, Thanks.

Jack Montrose
    Participant

Well, did 5 Rado Kitchen knives today, one Emerson Tanto and one SOG Mini Vulcan. All came out screaming sharp just not too pretty yet. Getting better with every knife so, pretty will come real soon. Not saying they came out ugly but nothing I would show off in this forum. :cheer: I know this is not really interesting news but I’m very excited and needed to share. I’ll refrain from posting any more updates to my progress but may from time to time ask for help. Great forum for information, thanks guys I’ll be lurking around on a daily basis.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I’ll refrain from posting any more updates to my progress…

Post all you want! I always enjoy reading others’ “process”… and usually learn something from it.

Glad you’re enjoying it! :woohoo:

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’ll refrain from posting any more updates to my progress…

Post all you want! I always enjoy reading others’ “process”… and usually learn something from it.

Glad you’re enjoying it! :woohoo:[/quote]

+1 to what Curtis said! Please do post your progress, it’s awesome to see peoples’ results and you might inspire others as well.

-Clay

Jack Montrose
    Participant

Thanks guys, I’ll get to some pretty finishes (I’m sure) this week or next. I may get brave and post a picture or two. Just in case someone is on he fence about getting a wicked edge – get it, get it, get it. I can tell you without hesitation; I get screaming sharp edges. I might also add, if you are thinking of getting the case but think its too expensive, your going to miss out on a gem. It is really heavy duty and stores all of the equipment nicely (including the base with vise attached). this is only my second day but, I am elated with the wicked edge system. :cheer:

Jason
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

This thread put a smile on my face. I’ve got a pack 1 with upgraded ball joint arms that should be arriving next week! Gonna run through a set of my inlaws cheap kitchen knives then hit my Spyderco collection!

That case might be in my near future as well.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Jack congrats on the new toy! Now you can join the club and tell people “your just not going to believe it?” The wild part is it just keeps getting better! Wait till those stones are really broken in. I cut up old tee shirts for rags, they end up looking like swiss cheese from wiping down the blades. My friends get a kick out it! 😛

Jack Montrose
    Participant

Eamon, that’s funny making old rags into swiss cheeze. I cut my finger already does that count? Didn’t get to play today Wifeee made me take her to the home show :S Tomorrow and Sunday we have my 6 yr old grand daughter so, no sharpening; can’t say I’m not looking forward to her visit though.

Diesel79, you are going to love it when you get it….. and you will not regret getting the case if you get it also.

Jack

John Genovese
    Participant
    • Replies: 35

Congratulations on your new purchase. The WE is the cheapest therapy you can get!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

The WE is the cheapest therapy you can get!

Quote of the month 🙂

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I’ll second that brilliant!

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Jack,
    Welcome to the club. Glad you are getting some great edges. That is what is important, after all.
    Pretty is… just pretty, it doesn’t cut anything !!
    🙂

Yes, the WEPS is therapeutic… there is something calming about communing with a piece of steel.
    Ken Schwartz says that he loves sharpening because he loves the process. A sharp edge is just an outcome of the process. I am not sure I go that far, but I do understand the sentiment.

😛

Jack Montrose
    Participant

Thanks Philip,
    Yes, sharp is all I care about (I use my knives). Pretty will be for the fun of it although I never plan to get as pretty as some of the knives I’ve seen on this forum. I fully understand that the WEPS is therapeutic, anyone who has not tried one will never fully understand. Before I got mine I didn’t know if I would have the patience to sit there and sharpen multiple knives at one sitting. Now I can’t imagine doing any less than 3 to 4. 😛

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.