Advanced Search

We need stinking badges

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box We need stinking badges

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

Part of the fun of a forum is earning some street cred by becoming a frequent contributor.

(By the way, I’m in the role of helping to set up and improve the layout of this forum.)

We have the ability to a) set criteria, to them b) award achievement badges to users who earn them, and c) display the badges next to the user’s avatar on posts and profile.

We can set criteria based on a) how long the user has belonged to the forum, b) how many new topics created, c) how many posts (aka replies) created.

So… Please let me know your thoughts on how to make the system meaningful and fun.

• Good names for badges, to show a progression from brand new member to salty old veteran. Given your expertise with knife sharpening, I think you’ll have some great suggestions (like ‘pocket knife’ for nubes, and ‘hairsplitter’ for experts?)
    • Good image ideas for badges; we can try to find a workable image based on your ideas, although the images have to be tiny, so there’s not a lot of detail available).

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Love the idea in general and think knife themed ranks could go along way….buck, samurai, tanto, karambit, scalpel, light saber.  hahaha 😛

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Curry I like your “knife based themes” a lot!  Who would’ve thunk?  Great idea.

Alan

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

What about also incorporating the “thanks” received as that would also encourage people to post to help others? Great idea Chris!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I’d prefer a simple system like many other forums have. So based, for example, on number of posts. Themed is a nice idea, but ain’t we making something simple too complex then?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Mark, you dont want to be known as the ninja samurai warrior of sharpening?  Josh would be a Jedi for sure…hmmm Jedi Josh kinda has a ring to it.  LOLOL

Just kidding it may indeed be too much…I do like the encouragement system to be helpful in posts somehow.  Always felt the “karma” thing did that previously for myself.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Ninja? That’s an affront!  I do agree though we need a special badge for the category “Josh”.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

We’re not able to use the Thanks count, unfortunately. That value (the number of Thanks) isn’t available for the badge system; the badges are only able to use the standard database columns in bbPress. But I agree it would make a great criteria to earn a badge.

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.