Advanced Search

we and arkansas wet stones ???

Recent Forums Main Forum we and arkansas wet stones ???

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gregory mais
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 7

wondering if anybody has tried or uses them on the we ? i really like the finish from the surgical black and just contacted dans wet stone , they said they have cut some for some people and mounted to the blank plattens . wondering how you like them ? what your thoughts are ?

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Haven’t used Arkansas stones but I did custom cut some other stones myself with a tile saw, and mounted them to some WEPS paddles… not hard to do!!

gregory mais
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 7

thanks josh appreciate all your vids and info . the chosera’s are nice , but i do know that they wear fast , prices i got from dan’s  was really good , considering i got one of their surgical black bench stones for 115 awhile ago , have done many knives with no noticeable wear .

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Looks great Josh! Can you tell a little more on how you cut the stones? I’ve been thinking about cutting my own stones (Coticules in my case), but have no clue how to do that.

Did you use any powered equipment? And did you cut the sharpening area (or the area you taped on the stones) as well? Or was this their original thickness?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Looks great Josh! Can you tell a little more on how you cut the stones? I’ve been thinking about cutting my own stones (Coticules in my case), but have no clue how to do that. Did you use any powered equipment? And did you cut the sharpening area (or the area you taped on the stones) as well? Or was this their original thickness?

I simply marked it out on the stone block into the dimensions I wanted (that would fit inside the Wicked Edge paddles) and then used a tile saw (i.e. saw w/ a diamond blade – all tile saws have diamond blades and are water cooled I was informed) and it cut them like butter, nice clean,straight cuts. If you can get a tile saw everything else will fall into place 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.