Advanced Search

Watched a video and

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Watched a video and

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John Genovese
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 35

it made me wonder if some of what I read here is just us (me) being too critical. Let me explain.

The video was of a guy hand sharpening a knife with a big stone suspended over a pail of water. He was able to get the knife sharp enough to shave off his beard. At one point he shaved his arm and said the knife is sharp, but not sharp enough to shave his face. He continued to sharpen the knife and finally shaved his beard.

That made me think about a couple of the posts that I have ready (and posted) here. My post was about one arm being tighter then the other. I read about the thickness of the paddles being different. I read about play in the arms and play in the paddles on the arms.

Someone took the time to measure the difference that the paddle thickness made and I think it came out to .5 degrees? I’m not sure if anyone ever measured the effect of the play but here is my thought. The guy in the video did his knife completely by hand, no angle gauge, nothing. There almost has to be a slight difference from stoke to stoke when you sharpen by hand and that difference must be more than we experience with the WE.

Am I wrong?

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I was on the Blade Forums not to all that long ago and there was a thread about learning to sharpen a knife? Simple enough huh. Well long story made short the new guy meets the old timer in a park and another BF guy video’s the whole thing. Carl (the man doing the sharpening) takes out 3M dish pad and dulls the knife very well. Then takes out a ceramic cup and sharpens the knife to paper cutting level. Not great but cuts. He then goes on to strop it with his belt he is wearing. Now it is okay sharp?
    He then later in the video finds a rock in the park and sharpens the same knife. Now these were in no way up to the standards of any of us here at WE! But it really made me think “we are sharping knives that’s it not life threating surgery?”
    Now I will tell you that I LOVE MY WEPS!!!! And I sharpen at least one knife a day on it. But sometimes for ME I think I just get too serious and forget to have fun? I bought the WE to have fun! That being said I would not trade my WE for nothing, like I said I LOVE it! :woohoo: :silly: 😛

John Genovese
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 35

Now I will tell you that I LOVE MY WEPS!!!!

Yes, I forgot to add that part.

-G

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.