Advanced Search

Vise Material

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Vise Material

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Bill Kirkley
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 97

Is there a reason the vise is made out of aluminum and not steel? Does anyone know what aluminum alloy the vise is made from?

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Is there a reason the vise is made out of aluminum and not steel? Does anyone know what aluminum alloy the vise is made from?

I would assume it’s due to cost and because it’s easy to machine.

Josh from Razor Edge Knives, a member to this forum and sharpening expert, had a custom vise made from D2 tool steel. He’s inspired me to start looking around town for someone to do the same for me.

blacksheep25
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 68

Sure you could make the vise out of tool steel, and guess what happens when you over torque it on your blade? Then the complaints on this forum would be that the vise marred their knife, when in actuality it was user error.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Sure you could make the vise out of tool steel, and guess what happens when you over torque it on your blade? Then the complaints on this forum would be that the vise marred their knife, when in actuality it was user error.

I sharpened hundreds of knives on my hardened A2 tool steel vise w/ no issues… including high dollar customs 🙂 If I was concerned w/ scratches I would clean the vise and then use tape on the blade. Problem solved! :side:

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

I sharpened hundreds of knives on my hardened A2 tool steel vise w/ no issues… including high dollar customs 🙂 If I was concerned w/ scratches I would clean the vise and then use tape on the blade. Problem solved! :side:[/quote]

Boom. Knowledge dropped.

Josh
    Participant

I sharpened hundreds of knives on my hardened A2 tool steel vise w/ no issues… including high dollar customs 🙂 If I was concerned w/ scratches I would clean the vise and then use tape on the blade. Problem solved! :side:[/quote]

Boom. Knowledge dropped.[/quote]
    I hope I didn’t come across like a “know it all” lol I just wanted to point out my experience 🙂

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

Nah, in no way did you come across as a know-it-all. Keep dropping that knowledge on us newbies. I love and anticipate hearing what you have to say!

Bill Kirkley
    Participant

Razoredgeknives:

Why use tool steel as opposed to mild steel? Did you heat treat the vise to harden it?

Josh
    Participant

Nah, in no way did you come across as a know-it-all. Keep dropping that knowledge on us newbies. I love and anticipate hearing what you have to say!

lol ur crazy

Razoredgeknives:

Why use tool steel as opposed to mild steel? Did you heat treat the vise to harden it?

Well I have used two different tool steels for vises… A2 and 4160. The 4160 was supposed to be pre-hardened from the factory. The A2 one I had hardened (may have been lightly tempered, not sure – i had it done through a local fab shop). The A2 one was hard as rocks… the lower vise screw wouldn’t even hardly scratch it. I sharpened hundreds of knives on it w/ zero issues, and man did I crank down on some of them!

The 4160 one was a different story. Like I said it was supposed to be pre hardened from the factory around 45 hrc. I used it a few times and 1. it bent and 2. the lower vise screw actually bit into the steel on the opposing jaw and marred it up. This is why it must be heat treated and not mild steel. =)

blacksheep25
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 68

Josh, how much did it cost to get those steel vises made?

Bill Kirkley
    Participant

Josh:

Thanks for your help.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

I’m also curious as to how much you paid. I’ve never had anything fabricated so…

Josh
    Participant

I’m also curious as to how much you paid. I’ve never had anything fabricated so…[/quote]

Well I got the hook up from a relative of a friend… i think it was $150 if i remember correctly but i imagine it would typically be a good bit more than that for only having one made. If we get a list together of who all is interested in the A2 jaw then I can contact him again and see about having 5-10 made for a discount.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

I’m also curious as to how much you paid. I’ve never had anything fabricated so…[/quote]

Well I got the hook up from a relative of a friend… i think it was $150 if i remember correctly but i imagine it would typically be a good bit more than that for only having one made. If we get a list together of who all is interested in the A2 jaw then I can contact him again and see about having 5-10 made for a discount.[/quote]

Oh, wow, that’s not bad at all! Not too sure when I’ll have the extra scratch to throw down, but I’m definitely interested in the vise AND riser block when that time comes… If that’s even an option?

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

Well I got the hook up from a relative of a friend… i think it was $150 if i remember correctly but i imagine it would typically be a good bit more than that for only having one made. If we get a list together of who all is interested in the A2 jaw then I can contact him again and see about having 5-10 made for a discount.[/quote]

Oh, wow, that’s not bad at all! Not too sure when I’ll have the extra scratch to throw down, but I’m definitely interested in the vise AND riser block when that time comes… If that’s even an option?[/quote]

If I were you I would just wait for the new vise that Clay is coming out with instead of dropping cash on another vise that will be obsolete shortly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.