Advanced Search

Videos I’d like to see

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Videos I’d like to see

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SHVentus
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 64

Although there are many videos on youtube, none seem to have everything.

I would like to see knowledgeable people make an all inclusive video of themselves sharpening a knife, from start to finish. Could be a brand new knife, re-profiling a new or older knife, a folder or a fixed blade, short or long blade, different edge contours and tips, etc. One showing everything from their thoughts on why they chose their particular angle for this particular blade and it’s intended use. Showing everything from the mounting (up/down, fore/aft with Sharpie), angle measurements and setup, and then……… 30 sec-1 minute per stone demonstrating how they use the stone (scrubbing, sweeps up and away, or down and towards) how many strokes/stone they use and why, progression (100/200, through 800/1000, and beyond, ceramics, strops, etc.), how much pressure they use, their technique for the tip, etc…….. with close ups of the edge after use of each stone.

Guessing that a 10-15 minute video should be the end result.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Good idea… I have a ton of video ideas I would like to do but somehow time always seems to evade me! It would be good to keep this thread going w/ others ideas on what they would like to see and other WEPS users posing their vids up here =)

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

I’m gonna do one tomorrow. I’m reprofiling a Daboia tomorrow. Going from 100’s all the way to .05 nano cloth and everything in between. I’ll record it and put it up and try to commentate a little. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 109

I’m afraid it’d end up much longer than 10 to 15 minutes…

Josh
    Participant

I’m afraid it’d end up much longer than 10 to 15 minutes…

yeah it would normally but I think he was meaning you can edit the video just leave a short amount of time on each stone so people can see what you are doing w/ that stone.

SHVentus
    Participant

Exactly Josh.

Although you may spend 15-30 min/stone, just video 30 sec to 1 minute of each stone’s use. On the video, describe that you spent 15 minutes and 500 strokes or swipes per side with the 100 stone (with maybe 10 swipes/side alternating X 300, then right/left X 200, or whatever you do) , but show only 30 sec to 1 minute demonstrating what you did.

DeeR
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

Here, Here! Great Idea. I’ve had the PP2 for over two years. Read and studied and benefitted from forum info./training for many, many hours You guys are amazingly knowledgeable and generous with your help. I believe I still struggle with many things because I am a visual learner. I believe Videos like these described here would be equal to reading and studying and experimenting for hours and days . The many videos already on the forum are invaluable. We know your time is valuable and precious so thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your knowledge and time with us. .

Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

Any comprehensive video concerning the WE is hard to get under 1.5 hours.

Josh
    Participant

Hopefully what you were looking for!

SHVentus
    Participant

Thank you Josh! Nice edge and tip.

I have a couple Q’s:

1. When you were tweaking the knife back and forth in the Tormek to set the angles, I believe, initially, the knife hadn’t been locked in as you adjusted back and forth, but then you did seem to lock it down with the Tormek strap, and then still adjusted the angle. Did this last adjusting either risk bending the jaws of the WE, or bend the Tormek metal mount that was in the WE?

2. Even with supporting the blade as you sharpen, does the Tormek give enough rigidity to the knife to prevent angle changes during the sharpening process of scrubbing? Do you re-check the blades angle during the sharpening process?

Thank you!

Josh
    Participant

Thank you Josh! Nice edge and tip.

I have a couple Q’s:

1. When you were tweaking the knife back and forth in the Tormek to set the angles, I believe, initially, the knife hadn’t been locked in as you adjusted back and forth, but then you did seem to lock it down with the Tormek strap, and then still adjusted the angle. Did this last adjusting either risk bending the jaws of the WE, or bend the Tormek metal mount that was in the WE?

Yeah you can really tweak on it and get it to adjust slightly, but not much. I have not found the angle to change when sharpening at all, although I did not check it on the angle cube at the end. But I just mirrored 4 folders w/ no issues… No I did not find any risk whatsoever to bending the vise or the tormek jig.

2. Even with supporting the blade as you sharpen, does the Tormek give enough rigidity to the knife to prevent angle changes during the sharpening process of scrubbing? Do you re-check the blades angle during the sharpening process?

Thank you!

Yes it does… when stropping I don’t use any support and it does just fine. When you are scrubbing out near the tip is when you need to support it slightly, but not much. It’s not bad like sharpening a fillet knife on the normal vise!

SHVentus
    Participant

Thanks Josh. My Tormek should be here Wed., just wondered if I would need to strengthen it’s metal mounting apparatus in order to stabilize it better. Thanks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.