Advanced Search

Using The Forums!

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Using The Forums!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

I have noticed a few people say they can’t upload photo’s etc.

So perhaps some “how to” info here might be nice.
    I have limited knowledge, but will share what I know.

The site uses “bbcode”, so each side of your text there are words/letters in brackets to perform each operation.
    http://www.bbcode.org/reference.php
    Renamed the link, here.
    You can use a word or words instead of the usual url link, so the sentence flows. 😉

Where it says “text” your message goes.

To upload a picture, I have found you either upload an image yourself to a site like “photobucket”, get a link, then post it here.
    Then put the “img” tags at either end, remember the last also has a forward slash. (/)
    But this is not great because the photo’s are not kept by WE, so if I close my Photobucket account, the pictures go too.
    I suggest Clay does something about this.

Also you can select the “Add File” button below the text box, then point to your picture file on your PC. (.jpg etc)

Then when you post, the pic will be added to the WE site and present an attachment link to your post.

If you open that link, then grab the url from your browser, post the link and add the

Then untick the attachment box.

Ideally, the “Add File” option should know that you are pointing to a pic and do the work for you.
    As it does for YouTube video.

Hope people can understand this?

The link I posted will show you how to do all sorts of things.
    edit – For example, you can use more than one, like make one word bold, then also make it bold and blue, then italic, or underline a word.

If you want more colours, get them here. 😉
    http://www.bbcode.org/examples/?id=6
    http://www.computerhope.com/htmcolor.htm

I think it is critical that Clay also protects the forum content by preventing editing of a post after a 24hour period.
    Think about it!

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Hey Chris…

I’m not sure I understand your post. When I add a file, I get a box that allows me to automatically insert the picture into my post. Do you not get this?

I don’t think a restriction should be placed on pictures hosted outside of WE for several reasons. While you’re right, the picture is “lost” if the user changes or deletes it, some members post pictures they use elsewhere, like a blog, that would just make them repeat steps to post them here. Additionally, there’s a size restriction on WE hosted pics, that has prevented some pictures being posted without going thru a size reduction process. Easier just to host it somewhere else.

Your suggestion to prevent editing after 24 hours made me smile… so far you’re the only one I’ve noticed that has a compulsion to do so. 🙂

What I would like to see is the ability to preview a post before submitting it, to make sure it comes out ok… especially quotes and pics.

Chris
    Participant

Your suggestion to prevent editing after 24 hours made me smile… so far you’re the only one I’ve noticed that has a compulsion to do so. 🙂

At least you get a smile. 😉
    I’m the only one that edits?
    Are you a betting man?

Hey Chris…

I’m not sure I understand your post. When I add a file, I get a box that allows me to automatically insert the picture into my post. Do you not get this?

It inserts the picture as an attachment, not embeded.

Also Internet Explorer has some odd behaviour compared to Chrome.

Chrome works if I click “insert”, Internet Explorer 9 doesn’t offer this.

Try IE9 and let me know what you see?

Attachments:
    Chris
    Participant

I will repeat this again, Internet Explorer has some odd behaviour with this site.

Embedding a .jpg and editing a profile are two.

cbwx34
    Participant

At least you get a smile. 😉
    I’m the only one that edits?
    Are you a betting man?

Hey Chris…

It inserts the picture as an attachment, not embeded.

Also Internet Explorer has some odd behaviour compared to Chrome.

Chrome works if I click “insert”, Internet Explorer 9 doesn’t offer this.

Try IE9 and let me know what you see?[/quote]

Lots of people edit… just not days later. But hey you have it in your signature, maybe that’s why I noticed it more.

Interesting that it’s a browser issue. I’ll try IE next time I’m on a Windows computer…. see what happens.

cbwx34
    Participant

Chris,

Have you tried IE10? I just tried on Windows 8, and it won’t even let me add an attachment (or an emoticon for that matter).

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109

Hi, how do you guys insert citacions? If I use the Quote icon, no autor name will appear above citation.

cbwx34
    Participant

Hi, how do you guys insert citacions? If I use the Quote icon, no autor name will appear above citation.

You mean like this? For me it happens automatically (when I hit the quote button), (and this is IE10). What browser are you using?

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109

You mean like this? For me it happens automatically, (and this is IE10). What browser are you using?[/quote]
    It works for me the same, when I click “Quote” button in the bottom of your post. But this way I can insert only whole your post and only once. If I want to cite only part of your post and more than once, I use the “quote” icon above editing texboxt. It works in Chrome, but now I am trying IE9, and I can’t see that icon.

Have you tried IE10? I just tried on Windows 8, and it won’t even let me add an attachment (or an emoticon for that matter).

It seems like this in Chrome – the citation was inserted, but there is no autor name.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’ve sent this thread over to our webmaster to see if anything can be done. I’ve got another question: why do user’s karma points drop?

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I’ve looked around for a user’s manual for the forum but the only thing I’ve found is for the admin side. I think Chris is on the right track of just making our own and I love how he’s used screen shots to do it.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

Chris,

Trying IE10 on Win8 via VMware.

edit – OK, it is the same as IE9 for me.
    You get the “navigate to a file” option, but then nothing.
    If you select a file and “submit” anyway, it adds as an attachment.
    No, C;/blah,blah,blah/path or “insert” option appears.

Attachments:
    cbwx34
    Participant

I’ve sent this thread over to our webmaster to see if anything can be done. I’ve got another question: why do user’s karma points drop?

I’m curious… since this is being sent to the webmaster… is this the only option available for forum software? It seems, from the few forums I’ve been on, there are better options? But I don’t know the “behind the scenes” process.

wickededge
    Keymaster

I’m curious… since this is being sent to the webmaster… is this the only option available for forum software? It seems, from the few forums I’ve been on, there are better options? But I don’t know the “behind the scenes” process.

Good question. I don’t know if there are other forum solutions for our platform. This is the one that the web company chose but maybe there are more options. I’ve asked him to read through this thread so maybe he can jump into the conversation.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

Good question. I don’t know if there are other forum solutions for our platform. This is the one that the web company chose but maybe there are more options. I’ve asked him to read through this thread so maybe he can jump into the conversation.

The big ones use VBulletin, but big $$$$.
    https://www.vbulletin.com/

Look down the bottom of Blade forums. (powered by)
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forum.php

I can’t see why the current forum here isn’t enough for the small amount of traffik you get now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.