Advanced Search

Ultrasonic cleaner and stones?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Ultrasonic cleaner and stones?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 109

Has anyone tried cleaning their stones with an ultrasonic cleaner? If so, how were the results? Or does anyone see any harm in doing this?

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

A couple of years ago I remember a thread on this… went just fine from what I recall, however, they held the stones in the top of the ultrasonic cleaner while it cleaned them instead of dropping them in the solution. From what I have scarcely read this can cause some health issues possibly. And if you drop them all the way in it could lead to issues w/ the glue/tape coming undone.

Personally I just use a squirt of windex as I need it while sharping. this eliminates dust and cleans the stones all at the same time… they never become clogged.

JS
    Participant

I’ve been using a little dish soap and a toothbrush to clean mine but having a good ultrasonic cleaner got me to thinking. What would the health risk be?

Todd Simpson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 47

Many years ago I was warned that ultrasonics can rupture blood capillaries in your fingertips if you hold something in the bath.
    However, I’ve done it many times with no issue. When your fingers are being sonicated, you know it.

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Many years ago I was warned that ultrasonics can rupture blood capillaries in your fingertips if you hold something in the bath.
    However, I’ve done it many times with no issue. When your fingers are being sonicated, you know it.

Makes your tongue tingle!! Fingers..dunno about those..

JS
    Participant

I must be overlooking something but why not just drop them in? You don’t want anything resting on the bottom of the cleaner so that’s why they come with baskets for your parts to rest in. If you’re just holding the paddle above the solution so that just one side of the stone is immersed, you could get away with not having your fingers touch the solution. Mine has a built-in heater, and I could see where using it could have adverse affects on the glue. Might just have to wait till a set gets to the end of its useful life and do some tests with them in the ultrasonic.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I must be overlooking something but why not just drop them in? You don’t want anything resting on the bottom of the cleaner so that’s why they come with baskets for your parts to rest in. If you’re just holding the paddle above the solution so that just one side of the stone is immersed, you could get away with not having your fingers touch the solution. Mine has a built-in heater, and I could see where using it could have adverse affects on the glue. Might just have to wait till a set gets to the end of its useful life and do some tests with them in the ultrasonic.

might as well….. worse case scenario they come unglued and you re-attach them =)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.