Advanced Search

Ultra Low Angle Rod Guide(ULARG)

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS Ultra Low Angle Rod Guide(ULARG)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

I don’t think these mods will be for everybody mainly because it involves drilling through the base, but the improvements in versatility are exponential…

Continuing on from the double riser block I drilled and mounted a short guide bar flush directly in front of the base.

It worked great but I wasn’t stoked on the idea of having it be in the front so decided to move it to the back by rotating the vice 180 degrees. To do this, I needed to drill another large access hole under the base. This worked out great because now I can get to both primary rod guide screws without ever having to remove the base again…ever.

Then reattached the double block riser with vise(and tormek jig…love that thing!)

Now if I need to reprofile or thin a knife I can just flip the setup around and work from the back.(old photo showing it in the front still but you get the idea…it works!)

Funny thing was… I noticed that the paddles set perfectly on the new short rod guide so I mocked up a quick pair of VSTA to check it…and that works also! Perhaps even better since Im using 12′ rods and the back guide is also elevated 1/4′ higher then the main rod guide. Time to finally order the VSTA from Kyle on Monday 😀

Again not for everybody but I am so happy with the improvements made over that last few days….Time to go sharpen something!!!
    Aloha, Cliff

Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155

I am thinking along with the 2nd set of arms have a second base with low angle adapter clamps. Use the tormek like you are doing. But used the second set of clamps to center the blade for rigidity and centering In the tormek.

CliffCurry
    Participant

Agreed, the blade flexibility can be an issue…Im hoping someone will remember the post and link it showing the adjustable ball joint thingy…its the final piece to my puzzle here.

Edit: Found it..
    https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forum/33-off-topic/13416-knife-support

Looks like Gregg776 & vodoodaddy are the one who have incorporated a ram mount attached to the base for blade support.

Update: I ordered a couple ram ball mount components today…pretty excited to check it out! 🙂

CliffCurry
    Participant

Final result with the ram mount added for blade stability.

It’s not 100% wiggle proof as I had hoped but I’m done… For now. 🙂

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

That’s awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Cliff,
    From that pic it looks like the longer arm Ram mount with a shorter rod would be more stable

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.