Advanced Search

Thur. was a bleak day compared to today’s Fare

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business Thur. was a bleak day compared to today’s Fare

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Nothing ever tops the Saturday fare except the Saturday fare. What a day I had today.
    So busy I forgot to take pics of a few. Ended up with 33 knives and 4 sets of scissors.
    See you Monday at taste unlimted – family of sandwich shops in this area, started with one and now over 6 or more through out Hampton roads region. All modern/fancy and a shade on the expensive side.
    Check them out:
    http://www.tasteunlimited.com/
    .vid is out there

this could turn out to be a great spot also – stand by for monday.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hey Tuffy,

What’s that petty in the top picture (third one from the top). It looks like a VG10 Shun I once had, but with a different handle. Or has this handle just seen too much of the dishwasher? 😉

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Hey Tuffy,

What’s that petty in the top picture (third one from the top). It looks like a VG10 Shun I once had, but with a different handle. Or has this handle just seen too much of the dishwasher? 😉

two shuns – 3rd and 4th – 1 you are referring to is the smaller one – i call it a shun parer and a larger chef’s. all of her knives were in very bad condition, probably from dishwasher and the fact she had been carrying them to local super market for free sharpening on some sort of pull thru. machine.

i have the exact same knife as the larger one i received from Williams & Sonma few months back – i do some work for the local store here and customer brought it back with broken tip. they replaced it and were going to throw it away – (company policy), but my friend who works there saved it for me – i just retipped it – i like it

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Tuf, I’m really curious if you can tell us whether this knife is chipping-prone. (Yeah, I know it’s hard to tell that from a single sharpening session.) But my experiences with Shun VG10 have been rather mixed.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Tuf, I’m really curious if you can tell us whether this knife is chipping-prone. (Yeah, I know it’s hard to tell that from a single sharpening session.) But my experiences with Shun VG10 have been rather mixed.

almost everyone i have ever sharpened had many many microchips all along the blade – some worst than others.

i did a whole block of shuns for a lady a few months back and out of the set of 12/15 she had 6 steak knives along the bottom – they were chip free.

i find globals to be the same way.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I have found that many chefs that use Shuns & Globals often use them for almost everything many of these knives are use specific and will chip when misused I have seen chefs cut cake on plates using a high range Shun when a table knife would have worked just as well anther cause of damage is using the cutting edge to push food off the cutting board instead of turning the knife over and using the spine.
    VG10 is generally quite hard much more so than perhaps the knives the average cook or chef has learned their skills with .
    It is important to learn new skills when wielding Japanese knives.
    Still if we are sharpening for other people let them damage them more work for us !

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.