Advanced Search

Thrift Store Knife Hunting?

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Thrift Store Knife Hunting?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Aloha,

Thinking of trolling the local thrift stores & goodwill for kitchen knives etc. Any suggestions how to find a diamonds in the rough would be greatly helpful…

I’m really hoping to find a few non stainless high carbons to try forcing a patina on like I’ve seen some beautiful examples of on here.

Other then that, my knives here in the kitchen at home are junk mostly so anything I can find to work with will be an improvement. I do have an old Ginsu II that I reprofiled to remove all the serrations, distressed the edge, and put a fairly low angle on…it seems to be holding up fairly well. Surprised me.

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Usually its junk at thrift stores that you will find. I’ve had more luck at flea markets. It can be good time killer either way

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

It doesn’t take long to waste a bunch of time doing that!!

I have an old block of Gerber cutlery but have upgraded via the local Goodwill store. I haven’t spent more than $50 total and have $300+ in razor sharp Henckels, a Lamson bread knife and a couple of MAC slicers. Plus a good dozen other kitchen knives to work on and play with.

Even if you find Chicago Cutlery or other “lesser” brands, in a sharpened state they will be excellent — a step up for most people who have lesser steel and no sharpening.

Our local Goodwill is good for a visit every couple of weeks. Some don’t have that much “turn over”.

Don’t go out of your way, but if the stores are on your route, swing by. It only takes a few moments to rifle through the knife bin. Usually takes longer to wait in the check-out line.

I haven’t yet but I’m going to check out some antique stores for older, uniquer blades.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

+1 on the antique stores. I forgot about those. I’ve found a lot of straight razors there

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

i have done really well in my area at thrift store hunting………

several nice Macs
    many other nice makes.
    at the fairs i work, i usually have a box of knives setting out – sign on box says “FREE KNIVES” – At the fairs, i can not sell, only supply a service, so i offer free knives, but a small sharpening fee is required………….most knives i paid like 50 cents to 75……..a few were a bit more.

Gregg776
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 59

I agree with Dan Maloon; flea markets that cater to garage sale types of sellers have much better pickings. Watch for charitable garage and rummage sales and get there EARLY. Avoid the flea markets that are mostly dealers of cheap imported new crap. The characteristics of a particular flea market location may change on different days of the week; the weekends usually cater more to the dealers. Don’t be afraid to bargain with the sellers, don’t be afraid to walk away after giving a low-ball offer and come back after making the rounds of the market to repeat the offer.

Thrift stores can be really good depending on the neighborhood, how friendly the staff may be, and if you can befriend some of the staff to show you knives that they haven’t put on the floor yet or even save you some good knives. Many thrift stores are reluctant to put sharp knives out where children can reach them. I personally have found the Salvation Army to be the friendliest and best priced.

Estate sales run by family members can be very lucrative especially if the family members are out of the area; if you see something that is over priced and you want, wait a couple days and go back. Estate sales that are run by “professional” estate sales management companies are usually a complete waste of time and energy unless you happen to get there near the end of the sale and maybe if they have not sold something they may actually take a reasonable offer.

Look at Craigslist garage sales for your area for a couple of weeks and weed out all of the perpetual sales; especially look for people moving out of the country. Since Craigslist is free, you never know what to expect; sometimes people think they can get almost as much they (over)paid for their treasures and sometimes they just want to get rid of stuff.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

……if you can befriend some of the staff to show you knives that they haven’t put on the floor yet or even save you some good knives.

Excellent point…

“my guy” at the local Goodwill got transferred. Now to re-cultivate….

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I would keep an eye out in craigslist for certain knives as well… may come across a good deal. i got a Microtech OTF for $150 and re-sold it for around 300!

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

I had hoped to have news to report back but ran out of time to make a round at the stores. That’s for the advice everyone, great idea to make friends with the store worker. Craigslist here is a bust for knives usually too small on community, but estate sales etc could be lucrative…

I did manage to score a few phone books today at the recycling center. The local guy gave me a funny look when I said that I was looking for them, not trying to unload. His expression was excellent when I light sabered a sheet of yellow pages. “Ho brau, das nutz!” was his exact words! LOL B) hmm wonder if I can push cut through them?

Hopefully I’ll make my first store run tomorrow. In the meantime I have secret projects to work on(don’t tell uncle Gib)!! :whistle:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.