Advanced Search

Third week’s a charm

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business Third week’s a charm

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Robert Gilvary
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 53

I didn’t make a dime, in fact I lost $3.00 out of pocket, but it wasn’t all bad.

I started out by buying a big box of kitchen knives from the vendor next to me for $10.00. Right off I saw a smaller sized cleaver and a set of 4 Paula Deen steak knives, plus several other straight blade knives, along with way too many serrated blades and various other kitchen utensils. I see no problem making this $10.00 investment into $100.00 +.

The next best thing to happen was this fella came by and said he needed me to sharpen his knives at a fish house he owns. I asked where and it turns out I had stopped there and was told they already had someone to sharpen their knives. He said this guy comes by every two weeks and he needed them done every week and to show up there on Monday morning. I guess I know where I’ll be come Monday morning.

So, today’s minor loss of funds just might turn out to be the best day yet.

Jack Montrose
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 67

Yes, life is good 🙂 Glad to hear of your good fortune, good luck.

Robert Gilvary
    Participant

OOOPS, put this in the wrong section. I’ll do better next time.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

KEWL BEANS BOB
    i had a good day also today.
    knife gig on monday – sounds like a nice deal to me.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Lol, isn’t it funny how talking to someone in person is so much different than over the phone?

Robert Gilvary
    Participant

It turned out to be a very good day. I got to do all the knives at the fish house and the boats were in unloading their catch of the last few days, so I got to do the knives from the boats too.

It was a longer day than it should have been because like the fisherman, I had to wait for their catch to get tallied and them get paid before I could get paid. Not really a problem because I did enjoy being there. You should’ve seen all the Red Snapper those guys caught. The fish house owner offered to pay me in fish. I declined saying maybe next trip, but a few pounds of snapper was tempting.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Sounds like a mega day how many hours sharpening did you do ?

Robert Gilvary
    Participant

Sounds like a mega day how many hours sharpening did you do ?

I’m thinking near 3 1/2 hrs total. Started at 9:00am and finished near 3:pm. Mostly Dexter Russell knives that I had to reprofile. Sure wished I had those 50/80 grit paddles, but I did okay.

I did one Dexter Russell serrated that was only a month old but was really ruined. I saw some abuse to the blade but most of the teeth were filed on. Had a heck of a time with it, but I used one of my coarse triangle sticks on it and gained some edge back on the teeth. It was used to cut on sharks.

Jack Montrose
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 67

Wow, Iv’e heard sharks have sand paper skin, I guess this is proof if that blade was ruined that quickly. Sounds to me like you knew what to do to fix it up, great job 🙂 . If you are going to do alot of reprofile jobs you should get the 50/80 stones, I have only used mine once but, boy howdy do they work. Just be ready to spend a little time removing the deep scratches and sawtooth edge (still worth it). Keep up the good work, its nice to here that people are making a little money having so much fun 😆

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.