Advanced Search

The Straw Mod

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat The Straw Mod

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    D K
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 22

Hey Everyone!

I recently picked up some subway straws to attempt to take some of the play out of the rods to the WEPS. They are fantastic! However I am consistently running into a problem with them coming off the rods. I have tried to superglue them on the rods as well and use zip ties. I was hoping someone out there has a solution to this problem!

Thanks everyone in advance for all the amazing wisdom. Everyone on here rocks.

D

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

My solution would be… don’t use them! Even if there is a bit of play between the holder and the rod, as evidenced by the numerous videos, posts, and microscope pictures, it doesn’t hinder getting knives sharp. If you’re finding it a problem, just try adjusting your grip slightly.

cbw

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Lol, i had the same problem… I have tried melting the base of the straw in order to get it to shrinkwrap to the base of the rod. It worked pretty well, but i ended up having to use a very thin (1/16″) strip of duck tape wrapped around the base of the straw/rod to keep it from coming off. I have found that what works best though is a thin strip of moleskin. I’m contemplating comtacting a local fabrication shop to see how much they would charge to make me some bushings that i could install on each paddle (got the idea from clay). I also thought of trying hot glue at the base of the straw but havent done it yet 🙂

Martin Singer
    Participant
    • Topics: 4

Hey Everyone!

I recently picked up some subway straws to attempt to take some of the play out of the rods to the WEPS. They are fantastic! However I am consistently running into a problem with them coming off the rods. I have tried to superglue them on the rods as well and use zip ties. I was hoping someone out there has a solution to this problem!

D

I haven’t obtained the Subway straws yet but has anyone tried the removable rubber cement use to temporarily bond paper? When you want to remove it just rub it off. I eil try it when I finally get the straws and report back.

Martin Singer
    Participant

Hey Everyone!

D

I haven’t obtained the Subway straws yet but has anyone tried the removable rubber cement use to temporarily bond paper? When you want to remove it just rub it off. I eil try it when I finally get the straws and report back.[/quote]

Picked up the straws over the weekend and put a small dab of Elmers rubber cement at the base of the rod then quickly slid the straw all the way down uver the cement on the flat section of the rod. I sharpened a single high carbon stainless Mondial chef knife for several hours. The straws never moved the entire time.

The knife, on the other hand, resisted reprofiling with th 100 grit diamond. This is the most resistant blade I’ve encountered yet. Looks like I need to get the coarse stones and try again. A second identical knife sharpened easily on my 1″x30″ belt sander with a 300 grit ceramic belt, just not the precision angle of the WEPS that I demand now.

Glen
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 12

My first Subway straws were too small to fit over the rods. According to another thread I was the only one to have this problem.
    Just got a second set, still too small.
    My Wicked Edge is at least 2 years old (maybe older), does anyone know if the rods were ever slightly larger in diameter?
    As of now I have pretty much decided I don’t have enough play to worry about.

Glen

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hi Glen,

The rods did used to be slightly larger.

My first Subway straws were too small to fit over the rods. According to another thread I was the only one to have this problem.
    Just got a second set, still too small.
    My Wicked Edge is at least 2 years old (maybe older), does anyone know if the rods were ever slightly larger in diameter?
    As of now I have pretty much decided I don’t have enough play to worry about.

Glen

-Clay

Wayne Reimer
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 28

Is this really a significant issue? I don’t have my WE yet ( it will arrive this week hopefully) but one of the primary reasons I decided to spend the money on one was this exact issue with systems like Lansky’s and Gatco’s…rod slop.

As I’m sure you know, with those type of systems, the rods have a lot of room to move around in the guide holes which on it’s own isn’t enough to really cause huge issues, but that coupled with the other inherent weaknesses in those designs ( manly poor knife clamping systems), result in problems getting and maintaining consistent angles.

The WE clamping system is obviously much better, but if the rod slop is still apparent enough that you have to modify it with straws…to be honest, that concerns me a bit given the amount of money invested.

So…is this really an issue to be concerned about, or is it more a situation of striving for absolute perfection?

Mark
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 56

I would say it is a matter of striving for absolute perfection. Most of the people that invest in a product like the Wicked Edge are a little off the deep end when it comes to sharpening. :whistle: I myself have invested thousands of dollers in sharpening equipment. I don’t even have a thousand dollers worth of knives. But what I do have are so sharp you could shave with their shadow. 😉

Glen
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 12

Thanks Clay, I thought I was nuts for a while.
    Wayne,
    I struggled for years wasting money on devices and still couldn’t manage to get a knife “really” sharp.
    Then I got the Wicked Edge and the first knife I tried was shaving sharp!
    Now I routinely do micro bevels and asymetrical edges (popular on some Chef’s knives)
    Rest assured, this is the real deal.
    I’ve never looked back.
    Let us know how you do.

Glen

Martin Singer
    Participant

I have to revise my strategy. Spent the entire day yesterday sharpening and realized that the resistance of the tight fitting straws was slowing me down. With a constant grip the sharpening became easier and faster without compromising a mirror edge.

No pictures though because I’ve been too busy with the WE to figure out the lighting to take good macro pics…maybe when the novelty wears off..

My solution would be… don’t use them! Even if there is a bit of play between the holder and the rod, as evidenced by the numerous videos, posts, and microscope pictures, it doesn’t hinder getting knives sharp. If you’re finding it a problem, just try adjusting your grip slightly.

cbw

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Martin,
    I put some dry graphite on the straws. This reduced the added friction to where it is not objectionable (hardly notice it). I tried several other lubricants but they did not work well. Any of the liquids would either dry out too fast or capture filings and other contaminants and gum up.

At first I tried to sharpen as fast as some of the videos I have seen show it. I found that slower deliberate strokes give me better results. Of course, when I am sharpening with the WEPS, it is for recreation and the pusuit of perfection, and I don’t mind the extra time. If I want a sharp knife fast, I spend 5 minutes with the belt grinder 🙂

Phil

I have to revise my strategy. Spent the entire day yesterday sharpening and realized that the resistance of the tight fitting straws was slowing me down. With a constant grip the sharpening became easier and faster without compromising a mirror edge.

No pictures though because I’ve been too busy with the WE to figure out the lighting to take good macro pics…maybe when the novelty wears off..

cbw

[/quote]

Martin Singer
    Participant

Phil,
    Great advice I have some in one of my gun cleaning tool boxes. I’ll try it tomorrow. I’m not interested in fast as much as easier on my shoulder injuries. The WE is unintentially great physical therapy plus it is a lot of fun..oh and I’m making my and my friends & family’s knives Wicked sharp.

Thank you,
    Marty

Martin,
    I put some dry graphite on the straws. This reduced the added friction to where it is not objectionable (hardly notice it). I tried several other lubricants but they did not work well. Any of the liquids would either dry out too fast or capture filings and other contaminants and gum up.

At first I tried to sharpen as fast as some of the videos I have seen show it. I found that slower deliberate strokes give me better results. Of course, when I am sharpening with the WEPS, it is for recreation and the pusuit of perfection, and I don’t mind the extra time. If I want a sharp knife fast, I spend 5 minutes with the belt grinder 🙂

Phil

cbw

[/quote][/quote]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.