Advanced Search

The Meat of the Matter

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business The Meat of the Matter

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

I have a good friend who goes hunting regularly to provide for his family & close friends. He’s a real surf n turf kinda guy. One day bringing home fresh fish & lobster, the next deer, goat, or pig.

He is truly blessed and freely shares his blessings with those around him. Without saying more he’s one heck of a guy. So naturally I offered to sharpen up his hunting set, mostly because it just felt right to help someone that helps so many, also it doesn’t hurt he’s got alot of hunter buddies I’d hoped to lure to my table for some side work. 🙂

Well without asking he gives me an entire back strap off the last fresh kill. I didn’t fully realize at the time this is one of the finest cuts! In addition he gave me several pounds of deer burgers with a bit of pork and fresh hamburger added for fat/taste. Some of the best meat I’ve ever eaten by far, fresh from the land to my grateful family dinner table.

I didn’t hear from him for last few months or so. I was actually a bit worried since it was my first time sharpening for hunting. Maybe the edge was to fine, not enough bite, etc…. Turns out the knife set has stayed so sharp he didn’t need to call me.

He actually has 2 sets & he swung by before going up the mountain, leaving one set with me & I did a quick freehand tune up using a 600 grit WEPS paddle on the other set he was taking with. Before he left while we were talking he even managed to knick himself and said, “whoa brudda these sucker stay sharp, I never even feel them cut me just now!” and then “Hey man how much meat you like when I get back?”

I posted this under business because it’s for an exchange of goods n services, but obviously it’s so much more & wanted to share. I’m helping this man provide for his family & in a very real way he’s doing the same for me. As he pulled away he said “you gotta let the blessings in to be blessed” something to think about…

Aloha,
    Cliff

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Congrats one of the most difficult aspects of sharpening is getting feed back – ask to much and it sounds as if we are not confident in our work so we wait and hope we get return business.
    I now sharpen freehand and have managed to hone my skills enough to get a V edge ( it takes a bit of checking with a loupe to do so) but this further adds to the self questioning is it sharp enough ?
    I am happy to say the last descent knife I handed back the chef cut his thumb checking the edge so no questions needed.

The knife in question was a dead MAC chefs knife that needed work to repair the damage from what looks like the work of both bad sharpening and over zealous steel work.

Attachments:
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.